Punching bags & boxing gloves

Associate
Hi,

I want to get a punching bag (or maybe one of those people shaped things with lights (that i assume light up and you have to punch it, for reflexes)) & some boxing gloves.

What should I be getting? For gloves, I assume quite thin ones (just enough so i don't knacker my knuckles), not massive gloves. For a bag, is heaviest better?

I'm going to join a kickboxing thing next month, just want to get some practice so i don't hit like a pussy lol

thanks

Associate
Here are a couple of bags I’d like to see someone punch

Vanessa Phelps
Edwina Currie
Davina McCall
Fern Britton (looks like someone’s already done that one for me, thanx)
Judy Finnigan

Associate
bought one myself a short while ago.

got a combined chipup/pullup and punchbag frame from the high street catalogue shop, and went to decathlon for the bag. they have a nice selection hung up so you can see which might be best for you.

Associate
OP
bought one myself a short while ago.

got a combined chipup/pullup and punchbag frame from the high street catalogue shop, and went to decathlon for the bag. they have a nice selection hung up so you can see which might be best for you.

I'll probably order online, can't think of any local places that would have different punch bags to try out.

whats the difference between them? Is it just how much they move/swing when you hit them?

Also, isn't it meant to harden your knuckles by using thin gloves/no gloves?

Permabanned
same as above really, but when they show you the technique make sure you pick it up. most important thing about it. a spin kick is just gonna make you look like a prat if you dont even know how to spin properly lol. and placement of the kick too lol, the amount of people I seen (I've done it myself mind you) that just spin and throw their leg out is silly especially when it lands in someones face and not the padding lol. been on the recieving end of one of those :p

Associate
OP
why would you want to harden your knuckles?

so they won't break easily?

same as above really, but when they show you the technique make sure you pick it up. most important thing about it. a spin kick is just gonna make you look like a prat if you dont even know how to spin properly lol. and placement of the kick too lol, the amount of people I seen (I've done it myself mind you) that just spin and throw their leg out is silly especially when it lands in someones face and not the padding lol. been on the recieving end of one of those :p

with the powers of youtube i should be able to master it ;p ;)

Associate
Wouldnt bother with a punching bag or gloves untill you need them.
I think the worst thing you can do is use a punch bag without knowing proper boxing technique. Because you will pick up bad habbits without knowing, and trust me there hard to iron out.
I'd do lots of fast plyometric excises befor you go, to help your strength so you dont look a pussy lol. Then go kickboxing for a while. Then get a bag after if you need it.

Associate
if you're punching a reasonably heavy bag properly you WILL break bones in your hand. The amount of stupid kids/chavvy teens we see in the gym doing this past few years is unbelievable.

Why do you think boxers (and most contact MA) have strappings under their gloves? Get yourself a nice pair of heavy gloves and work on your technique, i'll assure you this is beneficial not having to worry about broken bones in your hand and having the confidence to punch through rather than 'at' things is much better than having some scratched skin on your knuckles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom