Tell Me About....

Permabanned
Mk1 Nissan Micra 1.2's. Ive seen a mint J reg for sale, £400, Low miles. Are they worth buying and that? Anything to look for when buying one?

P.S. Im after any car for a 1st now, but nothing big.

Man of Honour
Oh god, the Nissan Micra isn't very popular on here, expect some non helpful replies

As a first car mate, it's ideal, chances are you'll bash it about a bit, so you want something cheap like this to get experience in. Then next year treat yourself

Unfortunately I don't know enough about them to say what to look for

Soldato
Oh god, the Nissan Micra isn't very popular on here, expect some non helpful replies

As a first car mate, it's ideal, chances are you'll bash it about a bit, so you want something cheap like this to get experience in. Then next year treat yourself

Unfortunately I don't know enough about them to say what to look for

It does sound like an ideal 1st car, cheap insurance, cheap to run, cheap to fix.

However it does depend on what you're using it for - if you're commuting 50+ miles a day to work and back then it's a no brainer. If you're planning on short local journeys round town and to work then it's an ideal way to build up you're NCB.

Man of Honour
My friend had one of the boxy cars for his first car

He loved it, and he ended up writing it off so again, but luckily like you he didn't pay a lot for it so it wasn't a big loss

GeX

GeX

Soldato
i suspect there are better cars for the money as a first car, £400 on something thats of that class and that age seems steep to me

Permabanned
OP
It does sound like an ideal 1st car, cheap insurance, cheap to run, cheap to fix.

However it does depend on what you're using it for - if you're commuting 50+ miles a day to work and back then it's a no brainer. If you're planning on short local journeys round town and to work then it's an ideal way to build up you're NCB.

Just round town and 'cruisin' with my mates...

Soldato
Shame you didnt do the cossie engine in your mums focus, or the swift gti, or anything else you had tried doing of course.

But then again, i suppose you still havent got a full license

Caporegime
Hi Azab,

The Micra will be half decent as long as its the bubble shape and not the square shape. If it's got a year of tax and MOT then you can't go wrong for £400.

i suspect there are better cars for the money as a first car, £400 on something thats of that class and that age seems steep to me

Not really. You can barely get a car in London for less than £500 with a tax and years MOT.

Last edited:
Commissario
He'll be referring to the K10, not the K11 (my one) or the K12 (newest shape).

They're not bad, good for mods and that's about it. £400 is a lot for a K10, you should expect to pay that for K11 at the most.

Soldato
A J plate £400 Micra is likely to be a bit of a disaster zone. Ancient cars, and will disintegrate quickly, if it hasn't already.

At this price point, you don't buy based on make/model, you buy on its condition but you really ought to up the budget. Surely, its not going to take that much more to save another £600 for a £1k+ car?

Soldato
A J plate £400 Micra is likely to be a bit of a disaster zone. Ancient cars, and will disintegrate quickly, if it hasn't already.

Utter rubbish.

I knew someone with an E reg that was absolutely fine. It started with a doorbell and didnt even have inertia rear seatbelts but it was fine otherwise.

It died when a stone chip in the radiator made it overheat and she didnt notice until it siezed

Soldato

At this price point, you don't buy based on make/model, you buy on its condition but you really ought to up the budget. Surely, its not going to take that much more to save another £600 for a £1k+ car?

And then save up another £500 for a £1500 car, why not save another for a £2000 car?

Plenty of cars for £400 which are PERFECTLY usable. No need to spend any more in this case imo.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
You'll get a Mk2 K11 for £400, I would pay £200 or less for a K10 ideally. The K10 must be getting very rare now so will end up commanding a premium in good nick regardless of how good people may percieve it may be.

Soldato
K10 is x1000 times more reliable than K11 (made in japan not dodgy sunderland)
as long as you dont ditchfind it there bulletproof

and when you're ready you can get a £50 primera 2.0 engine, sunny 1.6 gearbox and bolts in :p
i used to have one when i was 17, worked nor a nissan main dealer

Soldato
And then save up another £500 for a £1500 car, why not save another for a £2000 car?

Plenty of cars for £400 which are PERFECTLY usable. No need to spend any more in this case imo.

Perfectly UNUSABLE you mean. A £400 banger is going to be one step away from the crusher. Upping the budget by £600 (which is hardly a lot of money) gets you a MUCH bigger range of cars to choose from, the majority of which are going to be better mechanical condition.

Utter rubbish.

I knew someone with an E reg that was absolutely fine. It started with a doorbell and didnt even have inertia rear seatbelts but it was fine otherwise.

It died when a stone chip in the radiator made it overheat and she didnt notice until it siezed

Yeah? I knew someone with a 20 year of Skoda Estelle which was perfectly fine. Ran like clockwork, never broke down, no rust. could go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. It could fly too and travel on water.

Back
Top Bottom