Need a new large monitor

Associate
Right i'm in a bit of a predicament here guys, i need(read want) a new monitor. However i need it to be fairly large as it is pretty much going to double as my tele. I'm thinking larger than 24" and this is where i become stuck. Below 24" i know what is good and what's not but over this i know nothing. I've tried looking at reviews for all those in the greater than 24 section in the OcUK shop and it's impossible to pull them apart. the Ilyama, Hanns G and sammy both generally get good reviews. As i have 2 dells at the moment the 27" dell is also a good contender but seems a little expensive for what it is.

Also what about this monitor?

The last samsung one seems to have my attention at the moment, it's a shame OcUK don't have them in.

I'm looking to spend no more than 400 really but the budget is rather flexible to the point i could get that dell 27" if it was really worth it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Soldato
greater than 24 section in the OcUK shop and it's impossible to pull them apart.
Here's best classification:
2709W: S-PVA
3008WFP: IPS
Rest: TN El cheapos.

IPS: Most stable viewing angle/gamma > *VA: Highest contrast but some gamma shift in darkest shades > TN: No real vertical viewing angle/even bottom to top brightness when looked from center.
Dell has used quite a lot S-PVA panels in their monitors (what models?) so that's probably your starting point.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that EsaT, that explains why the dell is much more expensive. For some reason i also thought that was a TN like all the others. I'd love to be able to get the 30" one but it is far too much. Shame OcUK had so much trouble with that LG monitor as that would have been a steal.

Associate
OP
Right had a re-think, i've got two options, buy a seperate tele for my room and get a smaller monitor for the pc or go for a bigger more expensive monitor, i'm kind of heading towards the first now.

so perhaps something 24" and under will get me what i want but if i'm doing this i wont want to be spending more than £300 if i may be buying a new tele too. It'll be used for many things, gaming, videos, general uni work. So am i correct in thinking a TN panel might actually be ok for this? I was also toying with the idea of a third 20" monitor for eyefinity but i can't find any good ones that are 1680x1050.

What's OcUK's opinion on this?

Associate
Hey,

I've been using a 2x19" and 22" setup (3 monitors across 2 cards) with a HDTV hooked up too and I really love it. Monitors are too expensive to be buying for size really IMO, unless you need the high resolution for high res photoshopping etc.

I'd say spend the money on a HDTV for movies and then an extra screen for your PC...

This is assuming that the hDTV and the monitors are in the same room?

Associate
OP
now that's the problem, the HD tele would be upstairs in my room and my computer would be downstairs. Basically i have a nice little 15" tele in my room but it's hardly great for films considering i'm well on my way to building a good 5.1 sound system out of hi-fi seperates. I figured one way i may be able to save money would be get a large monitor and move my pc up stairs therefore killing 2 birds with one stone but the lack of good affordable monitors at 26"+ is making this hard. So i may get another screen for my pc as my 2 dells are mediocore at best and get a cheaper HD tele. Then to make it more complicated i'll be going back to university in a year and wont be taking my tele, so i'd be watching all my tele via computer, along with films so i'd need and like a good monitor for this too.

:(:( this is so going to end in me buying that dell ultra sharp 24" and a HDTV as well, bye bye money lol

Soldato
I'm using a 2709W at the moment and I find it is fantastic for both films and desktop stuff. In my mind, because the panel on the dell is so fantastic - it displays movies better than any TV in a similar price bracket, you just need to sit closer to it to achieve the same viewing size.

The dell also has the advantage of a fantastic warranty, more connectors than the internet and a lovely swivel stand.

I am also at uni, and find that bringing back the dell 27" is so much simpler than carting back my old 24in and a 32in TV, plus the viewing experience is better.

Associate
OP
Ahhhh somebody who has one, thanks for the info there cmndr_andi, however this has made matters worse now as i now have no idea what to do, that 27" is ohhh so tempting but it's never going to compare to a HD tele for watching films just due to size and i'd be watching it from a fair distance. I'm just not sure it'd do films justice from a distance.

I'm soo confused, i think i need a measure up when i get home to see what i can fit where. Thing is the 2709 isnt much more expensive than the new 24" dells. oooo maybe the 27" and tele???

*looks at bank balance*

maybe not

Ideally i'd like to acheive all this for under about 800, and seeing as a GOOD tele is going to set me back atleast 500 this is looking tight. I wouldn't be buying this all at once, probably spread across 2 or 3 months to minimise the hit.

Associate
Also what about this monitor?

The last samsung one seems to have my attention at the moment, it's a shame OcUK don't have them in.

I have that one, i brought it from OcUK, and is excellent for gaming, no doubt (5ms response) Those touch controls are hard to see though:)

When you go bigger than 26 (the Samsung 2693HM is actually 25.5) like 27, 28 etc, and with "only" 1920x1200 res., it worries me a little that the pixels aren't "tight " enough. I think 26 is a sweet spot for 1920x1200, with 24" being a tad t oo small IMO:)

~Ant

Back
Top Bottom