• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amd/Intel equivalents?

Soldato
Just wondering what the intel equivalent of AMDs Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz is?

I'm lost when it comes to intel seeing as they have core2/i5/i7 and all with different clock times to amd and each other.

Associate
Just wondering what the intel equivalent of AMDs Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz is?

I'm lost when it comes to intel seeing as they have core2/i5/i7 and all with different clock times to amd and each other.

Depending on what is being run then I would say the Core 2 Quad Q9550/9650 & Core I5 750 would compare with the Phenom II X4 965.

Any of the above would be very good overall.

Associate
Depending on what is being run then I would say the Core 2 Quad Q9550/9650 & Core I5 750 would compare with the Phenom II X4 965.

Any of the above would be very good overall.

yes the Q9550 / Q9650 are equivalent in terms of performance but seeing as the i5 is superior and cheaper they can be ignored.

Soldato
OP
so which between i5 and 965? I'm trying to find comparison reviews but not being too successful at finding real world benchmarks. They are both the same price too.

Associate
so which between i5 and 965? I'm trying to find comparison reviews but not being too successful at finding real world benchmarks. They are both the same price too.

Check out the benchmarks here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-core-i5,review-31674.html

Bottom line, the i5 is faster in almost all real world apps @ 2.66GHz vs the phenom II 965 @ 3.4GHz.

If you plan to overclock, then there is no competition what so ever. i5 ***!

Soldato
OP
I'm kind of stuck between the i5 and 965 for one reason. At the moment everyone puts the i5 ahead of the 965 because it out-performs it due to most games only making use of 2 cores and so the i5's turbo boost increases its performance drastically. However, I'm wondering whether when more games start making use of all four cores and the turbo boost tech has less impact, the HT of AMD's chip will see that coming out on top.

Thoughts anyone?

Caporegime
well it depends by which sites you go by theres some that show in gaming that the phenom beats even the i7 in some games some it really depends what you do mostly.

the i5 is to compete with the phenom that is the whole point off it. basically they are about the same.

Associate
AMD are good for low end market stuff, but as soon as you can afford LGA1156 Intel is the better route by far. The 965 competes with core2 pretty much evenly but LGA1156 processors are anywhere between 10%-40% faster than the Q9650 in real world apps. Even in gaming you can see a small improvement over LGA775 but the biggest gains are in multi GPU setups.

Soldato
I'm kind of stuck between the i5 and 965 for one reason. At the moment everyone puts the i5 ahead of the 965 because it out-performs it due to most games only making use of 2 cores and so the i5's turbo boost increases its performance drastically. However, I'm wondering whether when more games start making use of all four cores and the turbo boost tech has less impact, the HT of AMD's chip will see that coming out on top.

Thoughts anyone?

You would kick yourself in when every single game begins to use all 4 cores and you have dual core. If you want to be safe and you think luck is on your side, then get a Phenom 550 and unlock the other two cores or get a tri-core for the best of both worlds.

Soldato
OP
You would kick yourself in when every single game begins to use all 4 cores and you have dual core. If you want to be safe and you think luck is on your side, then get a Phenom 550 and unlock the other two cores or get a tri-core for the best of both worlds.

O_o I'm deciding between 2 quad cores, and you're recommending a dual/tri core...wut? :confused:

Caporegime
theres been numerous reviews of phenom 955 and 965 besting i7 in some games yet there slower by upto 40 percent than i5 crazy mann :D

Soldato
OP
yeh I'm going with the 965. Almost every review puts the i5 on top, although some put 965 on top, but can't help feeling the reviews tipping Intel are bias. Looking at the benches the i5 and 965 perform fairly evenly, but with the 965 sometimes shooting ahead past even the 920, yet the reviews continue to vouch for the i5 which is ridiculous.

Soldato
O_o I'm deciding between 2 quad cores, and you're recommending a dual/tri core...wut? :confused:

It was a comment of a possible money saving opportunity if you wanted to consider it, but clearly you don't (550 can unlock the other two cores to turn into a quad, same with the 720 to unlock the one core to turn into a quad).

To answer your question on actual quad core comparisons; The i5 would be better in my opinion, but the 965 is also a good purchase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom