Car sort of broke down today :( helpp

Associate
Just wondered if anyone knew what the problem could be...

about 3 months ago the car started misfiring at low revs - never bothered me tbh just slid clutch and drove in a lower gear at junctions etc.

Today when I tried to start the car it revved to 2000rpm then immediatly died. Seemed strange so I started it again and it did exactly the same thing - but this time just before it stalled I gave it a few revs up 50 about 3krpm but it still just died.
Then I thought something might just be not warmed up so I started the car and tried to drove it up the road - which I did but it felt like it was running on 1 cylinder giving a very very jerky ride - way too bad to use when other cars are around. So I parked it up and caught the bus to work. :mad:

Anyone got any ideas ? - not sure if misfiring is connected but forums would suggest the coil pack if so... ? help plzzz

Last edited:
Caporegime
Today when I tried to start the car it revved to 2000rpm then immediatly died.

That's exactly what happened to my Fiesta this weekend. The Fuel Pump is at fault. Find where the top of the tank is (usually under the passenger seat) and bang it while someone turns the ignition. If it starts ok then it's likely that the pump has seized. Check plugs and leads before suspecting the coil pack.

Bat

Bat

Associate
As Janesy says, check the plugs and leads, and if their fine could be coil pack. If you have AA/RAC they usually carry spares and can test.

Associate
OP
I do have a very basic RAC cover - so I have to be at least 1/4 mile from home to call them out .... I guess I could push it 1/4 mile :p doesn't sound much fun though

Associate
OP
They all ran off to uni - the others don't bother with cover lol

When a coil pack fails what does it do ? lol

Last edited:

Bat

Bat

Associate
They all ran off to uni - the others don't bother with cover lol

When a coil pack fails what does it do ? lol

Makes the engine drop cylinders and run like crap IIRC! I think if you take the faulty coil out it will run smoothly on the remaining ones for diagnostic purposes at least!

Don
When I had a clogged idle fuel valve on my old vectra, it did exactly as you're describing, found an easy guide to take it apart and clean with carburettor cleaner. Instant fix

Man of Honour
Most krypton tuning places can check things like fuel pressure which would reveal a faulty pump.

For the cost it may be worth having a session done, it's not particularly expensive and reveals faults that would otherwise take a while to track down.

Associate
OP
Got home and car started first time, I let it run at idle for a few mins and slowly put my foot on the accelerator and this lowered revs :confused: - I waited a bit longer until car was warmed up did it again and the car ran normally - drove it a short distance and was perfect.. :eek:

I think i'll get it checked out but I find it weird it works ok when warmed up...

Back
Top Bottom