BE any good?

Associate
I'm currently with Orange and peak times i get half a meg (THAT'S RIGHT HALF A MEG!) from 8, I'm fed up because we have 3 - 4 pc's on the network and I cant do anything I want too :(

So quite simple anything bad about be? probably the one ill be switching too unless someone has a better suggestion :)

My apologies if this has been asked, search failed "/

Associate
The only bad thing is their services aren't available everywhere - you'll probably want to check Samknows or similar and make sure they've unbundled your exchange. It's also worth getting line stats from your router and estimating the speeds you'll get with an ADSL2+ service - info in the broadband sticky.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
We have O2 which is Be repackaged, Im very impressed with the service. we get a solid 6 meg, paying for 8.

We are a about a mile or 2 from the exchange.

Associate
OP
The only bad thing is their services aren't available everywhere - you'll probably want to check Samknows or similar and make sure they've unbundled your exchange. It's also worth getting line stats from your router and estimating the speeds you'll get with an ADSL2+ service - info in the broadband sticky.

According to the site my lines for BE its said it will be around 11meg but ill have to do more digging me thinks tomorrow ill give em a bell and see what goes down :)

We have O2 which is Be repackaged, Im very impressed with the service. we get a solid 6 meg, paying for 8.

We are a about a mile or 2 from the exchange.

Might have to look into this cheers for the replies guys :)

Caporegime
It's also worth getting line stats from your router and estimating the speeds you'll get with an ADSL2+ service - info in the broadband sticky.

On top of that, where's the 8 and "half a meg" coming from? The speed Orange advertise is the maximum possible for a relatively short line. It doesn't mean that's the fastest your line can handle, so as Daegan suggested you need to dig out the statistics from your modem.

What Be are telling you is an estimate, based on the same planning records as BT Wholesale use for their estimator - it's by no means reliable and you can get a vastly more accurate idea from the stats your modem should give. They should tell you exactly the same on the phone.

Associate
well i have been with be for years and honestly best provider out there atm~

ps. pay no attention to there crapy site ¬_¬ (never used to be that way)

Associate
OP
well i have been with be for years and honestly best provider out there atm~

ps. pay no attention to there crapy site ¬_¬ (never used to be that way)

Aye id have thought it would be a bit more uhm flashy lol looks like a kid ran in with some paints and slapped it about a bit :p
ill be ringing them tomorrow guys thanks for your reply :D

Associate
OP
On top of that, where's the 8 and "half a meg" coming from? The speed Orange advertise is the maximum possible for a relatively short line. It doesn't mean that's the fastest your line can handle, so as Daegan suggested you need to dig out the statistics from your modem.

What Be are telling you is an estimate, based on the same planning records as BT Wholesale use for their estimator - it's by no means reliable and you can get a vastly more accurate idea from the stats your modem should give. They should tell you exactly the same on the phone.

I fully understand its an estimate (as it says Possibly), when i upgraded around 2 years ago i got close to 8meg and in peak times what with haveing 3 pcs my sisters being very active on downloading i got "done" downloading 60odd gig in a month, so i got a letter through it was fine for a few months they put me down to 2 and then back up as it had calmed down.

Then, my internet went a tad slow and i thought it was a bit odd but carried on got a letter and it read

"Dear Mr Blah

Due to your recent activity during peak times your internet will be lowered PERMANENTLY due to the following reasons

you downloaded around 65GB within March - April"

Thus my half a meg in peak times ;)

Soldato
Changed from Orange to Be* back in 07, used to get 6.5mb on Orange, then that dropped to less than 100kb!!! Obviously I left Orange and migrated to Be*. Be* said I was likely to get 7-8mb, but I have a reliable 14mb and sub 10ms pings on most game servers.

Some key points wrt Be*

1. There are no download limits, none whatsoever :D I download upto 500gb some months
2. Pings are ridiculously quick, pinging bbc.co.uk returns avg of 5ms!!!!!
3. The user panel gives you the option to set SNR, Interleaving etc etc for more speed
4. When there is any planned outage or problem they text your mobile a few days in advance
5. Static IP addresses

Oh, and if you want, I can suspend you...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's because annoyingly you can't search for 'BE'.

I knew this would be asked/said so i came prepared
asdsafasdsa.png

I got some hits on a similar search however not being too well right now I didn't fancy sitting here for a fare bit looking through all of them when I should be in bed ;)
So once again guys my apologies....

Associate
Yep not sure why they revamped the website as the the new one truly sucks

As for the service - i live about quite a long distance from my exchange (Bracknell) and though the BT calculator says i should be 3-3.5 MB I actually get just over 4Mb solidly

Stability of connection wise in general they've been really good - I can only remeber one time the connection went down >16 hours and i've been a customer for 3 years.

If you're a twitch gamer though you may alsio want to look at the ping as well as BE did have a few issues taht way earlier in the year but I think it's been resolved now

Back
Top Bottom