need some help from the runners around here

Soldato
over the last few years i've let my fitness go down the pan, after threads like rimblocks etc, and the fact mates at work are thinking of starting to play 5 a side footy again i'm looking to improve on my fitness.

decided to start with some running, as its the thing im most comfortably with, checked plat's guide, got fitted for some shoes etc.

i've set out a route local to me thats just under 2 miles in total, on starting , due to my total lack of fitness i've started with a 10 minute walk out and then back, the whole route is on the road.

however the section of my legs from above the ankle to below the knee feel like they are on fire :confused:

no joints hurt and aside from the feeling in that part of the leg i feel fine.

just wondering if anyone has come across it before.

cheers.......

Soldato
OMG! Bone crumbling shin splints! Don't ever run again.....

or

That's par for the course, I remember the days when I had similar when I started walking in the hills. Just take it steady and condition yourself, stretch off (calfs, hams, quads) 10 mins afterwards.

Soldato
OP
OMG! Bone crumbling shin splints! Don't ever run again.....

or

That's par for the course, I remember the days when I had similar when I started walking in the hills. Just take it steady and condition yourself, stretch off (calfs, hams, quads) 10 mins afterwards.

checked the net for "shin splints" and it doesnt really tally with the feeling i'm getting in the legs.

do a warm down and within minutes of finishing its fine.

will ease up a bit and see how its affected.

Soldato
OP
[DOD]Asprilla;14994764 said:
Do you stretch your ITB using either an 'I'm a little teapot' stance or a foam roller? This may help with the fire below the knee.

had to have a look to find out what the ITB is, not sure that i do stretching particularly for that area.

daft as i may sound can you put up an easier explanation of the 'I'm a little teapot' stance and foam roller.

Soldato
from what you describe as fire down the lower leg, I don't think it'd be ITB related.

teapot stretch: stand up straight, feet forward, hands on hips, leg of ITB to be stretched crosses behind the other, both feet still facing forward. Then push hip out to the side and away from rear foot. You may need do do this near a wall to steady yourself against.

One of the skills with strecthing is understanding what the hell to do in the first place, I still can't work out a lots of descriptions/images.

A foam roller is, a foam roller, or massage stick. You use it to rub yourself......

Soldato
however the section of my legs from above the ankle to below the knee feel like they are on fire :confused:

I got this all the time when I started, if I walk briskly, I really overwork the muscle on the front of my lower legs, causing BURN! However jog instead and its fine. 1st step however, is that I had to get trainers which fit the way I run. I REALLY recommend this as I used to get up to about 2km running/jogging and my right leg would kill, turns out my right foot was pronating. BAM got some running trainers after being analysed and I can run forever! Until I run out of breath that is!

Soldato
I got this when I started running. Getting properly fitted running shoes helped a lot. Losing weight helped a fair bit, and just general building up of the muscles by actually running helped too. Still lasted about 3 or 4 months, but now I never get it.

Soldato
OP
went to somewhere recommended by a collegue that runs, and they seemed to do a decent job fitting me.

had a quicker "stroll" last night and felt it start, eased off and it was fine.

starting to thinks its lack of fitness and the extra weight i'm carrying rather than anything else.

thanks for the responses so far :D

Soldato
doesnt feel like the shin itself, rather, that whole section of the leg just feels like its being roasted over a spit :confused:

I get that when running out on the road, (well when I have stopped running) but dont seem to suffer that when I run on a treadmill which is why I mainly run on the treadmill now.

Back
Top Bottom