How long would it take to transfer 60GB over a home network?

Associate
I am building a new PC soon, and I need to somehow get 60GB of data from my old SATA hard-drive onto my new PC's hard-drives (music and anime)... I do not want to buy an external hard-drive.

So I figured I would create a network between a laptop and this PC, and transfer the data that way. But 60GB~, how long would that take?

As for our router, it's just the latest BT Home Hub 2.0... wired setup.

Associate
Assuming 100mb switch in the Home Hub and transfers going at ~11MB/s, about an hour and a half.

If desktop and laptop both have gigabit ethernet interfaces perhaps connect them directly, will take maybe a quarter of the time.

Or if the laptop hard drive is easily removable just take it out and plug it into the new PC. Power and data connections are the same.

Associate
OP
Assuming 100mb switch in the Home Hub and transfers going at ~11MB/s, about an hour and a half.

If desktop and laptop both have gigabit ethernet interfaces perhaps connect them directly, will take maybe a quarter of the time.

Or if the laptop hard drive is easily removable just take it out and plug it into the new PC. Power and data connections are the same.

How do I check if the ethernet port is Gigabit ethernet?

Associate
OP
tbh, I'd just take the drive out and connect it directly to the new pc and transfer it that way.

But, this drive has Windows XP installed on it.

Would I literally just take the drive out, connect it via SATA to the new PC when its all set up, then start dragging and dropping things to the new HardDrives via explorer? Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom