Corsair H50 passive ?

Soldato
Anybody tried the Corsair H50 without the fan running ?

I wondered how it would perform against a passive cooler like the scythe orochi .

Permabanned
I dont think the noise is going to be significantly any lower with or without a fan. To the human ear anyway. You can get a really low profile silent fan to attach rather than the stock. The pump on the H50 can make as much noise as the fans. When your case is shut its pretty quiet but open it up and you can hear the motor pump.

McT

Soldato
OP
I dont think the noise is going to be significantly any lower with or without a fan. To the human ear anyway. You can get a really low profile silent fan to attach rather than the stock. The pump on the H50 can make as much noise as the fans. When your case is shut its pretty quiet but open it up and you can hear the motor pump.

McT

EEEEeeeek :eek:

So the pump noise H50 is louder than a Hardrive spinning ?

Soldato
OP
Think i'll go back to the idea of a Scythe Orochi or a IFX-14 as a passive cooler unless i can shoehorn in a Reserator into the space i have planned for a silent build :).

orochi-inst-case.jpg

Soldato
I wouldn't like to have my motherboard vertical with that beast... really though, just some extremely quiet fans would be many times better than that. Besides, the fan in your PSU is going to be louder than that anyway.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-000-NB&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-015-SY&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-SY&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

Soldato
OP
You can stick a quiet fan on a Reserator for cooler temps but that just makes the whole concept of passive pointless. :D

People into passive cooling only care that the temps never go into the thermal throttle as they do not have an OCD ( Obsessive compulsive disorder) for low reading temps. :D :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can stick a quiet fan on a Reserator for cooler temps but that just makes the whole concept of passive pointless. :D

People into passive cooling only care that the temps never go into the thermal throttle as they do not have an OCD ( Obsessive compulsive disorder) for low reading temps. :D :p

Yeah your right, they have an obsessive compulsive disorder for silence instead :p

What about the megahalems passive? Ive heard its suppose to be pretty good as a passive cooler aswell.

Permabanned

They have an obsessive compulsive disorder for silence instead :p

What about the megahalems passive? Ive heard its suppose to be pretty good as a passive cooler aswell.

Soldato
Not a good call. The benefit to the H50 is being able to draw air in from outside the case. After that, it's got just the same surface area as anything else, and has to get rid of the heat from a pump as well. It'll do worse.

I'm running this passively on an e8400, after taking the fan off. Temperatures hit 70 under heavy load, which it rarely sees.

If you want a silent computer I fear you're going about it the wrong way. Start with quiet components, then quiet cooling, then start to obsess over sound dampening and so forth. The biggest issue you're likely to hit is either:
1/ You want fast and silent, but cheaply, or
2/ The psu is now the loudest thing in the system

Back
Top Bottom