Backing up iTunes : How?.

Soldato
I don't use iTunes myself, never have done so I know absolutely nothing about it.

A friend want's a new, larger hard drive fitted to her laptop as her current system is running dog slow as it is crammed full of junk. So we intend reinstalling the OS and all her apps from scratch, after backing up all her files etc to an external HD.

However, I'm not sure what the procedure is as far as backing up her iTunes stuff.

What exactly do I require to backup and then how do I get it all working again on a freshly installed system?. Is it just a case of backing up certain folders and then simply dropping them into the same places on the fresh install?.

Appreciate a few tips!. :D

Associate
File > Library > Export Library. Than only backs up an XML file if I remember correctly.

I just copy the whole iTunes folder and put it in the same folder when replacing it.

iTunes folder is usually %userprofile%\Music\iTunes

Soldato
To do it perfectly it's a bit awkward.

First in the settings change the folder location to the external and set it to keep organised and copy files.
Next you need to consolidate the library (File Menu) and check both boxes, it'll copy the files to the external.
Now copy the Album Artwork folder and any other xml and itl files to the external as well

On the new install hold shift when launching itunes and select choose library and choose the xml files on the external drive.

Now change the location to the new drive, consolidate, copy the itunes files and artwork and select it via shift.

You can just copy the folder if everything is consolidated but you lose playlists, ratings, subscriptions etc.

Soldato
OP
This. I'm surprised your friend doesn't back up her music anyway.

Nope, she is one of those "Ooohh!!, my PC won't work and I can't afford to lose all my stuff" types who never, ever backs anything up. :cool:

So it's just a case of copying the entire iTunes folder ( it's sat at about 17Gb worth :eek: ) then installing iTunes on the fresh system and then dropping the copied 17Gb folder back into place again?.

Do I need to do the File > Library > Export Library thing to get the .xml file?.

*EDIT* Posted the above while AbsenceJam posted his reply.

Soldato
OP
Ok, started it off using AbsenceJam's method, looks like it will take a wee while to copy it all over.

Next you need to consolidate the library (File Menu) and check both boxes, it'll copy the files to the external.

When I clicked on "Consolidate" it didn't give me any option to tick any boxes, it just started copying everything to the external drive. :confused:

Soldato
I just copy the My Music folder. Works nicely every time.

That said, I do have 'keep my library organized' ticked, so all my music is in one place not scattered all over the HDD.

Associate
Ok, started it off using AbsenceJam's method, looks like it will take a wee while to copy it all over.

When I clicked on "Consolidate" it didn't give me any option to tick any boxes, it just started copying everything to the external drive. :confused:

It should consolidate it to the iTunes folder. The library location will be shown in Edit > Preferences > Advanced

Soldato

Might be an older itunes version or something.

Just checked and I meant file > library > organise library (latest itunes). But if it's all copying it should be good. It's the same thing I believe.

I'm doing this at the moment actually, it's really annoying.

Soldato
OP
Just read on another forum the following info :-

2) Click Store>Deauthorize computer (This is on the top menu along with File of iTunes)

Deauthorizing makes it so her songs that have been purchased can be put back onto her new iTunes install without a problem

Is that correct?. Does this step require to be taken?. :confused:

Associate
Just read on another forum the following info :-

Is that correct?. Does this step require to be taken?. :confused:

You can authorize up to 4 computer and devices at the same time. It should work without deauth'ing it, suffice to say, she has only auth'd this computer. However you can deauth' all devices and computers. Think you can do this from the store, can't quite remember at the minute.

Soldato
Forget all that. Just get a small program called Sharepod. Close ITunes, run it and export all mp3s/videos or whatever to hard drive.

Works on every ipod ive tried

Associate
Not on every iPod I've tried, though :( better to back it up specifically.

You can de-authorise all machines on the itunes store, but you can only use this carpet-bomb technique once a year or something similar - only bother doing it if you get the message saying she's used all the activations, otherwise it's best to wait until you need to do it, and then have all 4 available.

Soldato
Sharepod works on my ipod shuffle (1st gen) 2 different gen nano's, ipod video, ipod classic, ipod touch. Not sure about other ipods but excluding the iphone there arnt that many more really

Soldato
1) Copy the 'iTunes' folder in Music folder
2) Copy location of music files
3) Reinstall iTunes on new system, skipping all the set-up prompts (Untick the add MP3s, AACS screen etc)
4) Replace the newly created 'iTunes' folder and copy your music back over.

Job done.

Soldato
They really should add a feature that is a one-click backup which sticks everything - music, video, custom playlists, preferences, ratings etc etc into one backup file that you just "open with iTunes" on a new machine (Windows or Mac) that automatically restores everything. It's not exactly mind blowing technology but it would be really useful for people.

Back
Top Bottom