• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arrrgh Catalyst drivers on 5870

Associate
Finally got my new machine built (in sig) and Windows 7 installed without issue. However as soon as I installed the Catalyst drivers (latest from ATI site 8.66 RC6) windows boots and the monitor goes straight into Power Save mode as if the frequency is too high or something. I can boot into safe mode with no problems.

Am going to try removing the drivers in Safe mode and reinstall them, see if that helps. I already tried installing the RC7 version but Catalyst installer needs to be able to detect the hardware, unlike the nvidia drivers, so they wont install in safe mode. I expect I will reinstall windows tonight and try again if uninstalling doesn't work.

Any other ideas? Anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks guys n gals.

Associate
You could uninstall the 9.9's and either --- 1. use the older 9.8 --- 2. Find a beta version of the 9.10's

If problems persist check any monitor settings and if that doesn't work a reinstall of windows will

Associate
OP
Craig, I am sure a reinstall of windows will work right up to point I install these drivers :) They are beta 9.10 drivers AFAIK. That's what they're Release Candidate. They are ATI's 'recommended' driver for the 5870 :(

Associate
OP
Turns out the ones i am using ARE the 9.10 betas according to guru3d:

ATI Catalyst 9.10 Beta Windows 7 | Vista (32|64)
On this page you can download ATI Catalyst 9.10 Beta Windows 7 | Vista (32|64).

Version: 8.66RC7
Publisher: ATI
Date added: 2009-09-28 02:52:25
File Size: 83 MB
Software type: Videocards - ATI Catalyst Vista - Win 7

I thought I had the RC6 looks like I had the 7

Last edited:
Soldato
Any other ideas? Anyone else had issues like this?

Thanks guys n gals.
Boot up by pressing F8 and choose to load windows in VGA mode...Then you can set your right res ;)
(Am guessing w7 still has the bootup in VGA mode option)

I had to do this myself because some Nvidia drivers has done the same thing for me..

Soldato
So remove the other one? Strange, haven't had to do that before, always had them both connected when installing drivers. Will try that too. Thx.
I had a few problems with having my Plasma plugged in at the same time as my Dell monitor went installing drivers before...

I think the drivers have tryed feeding my plasma with 1920x1200 on first boot instead of 1920x1080 because of my dell 24" monitor being 1920x1200

Associate
'The Witcher' isn't playing ball with the current driver set for the 5870, terrible tearing of the player character and nothing I do makes any difference. Very frustrating as it's one of my favourite games. All my other games play smooth as butter with no glitches, as expected.

Associate
OP
Well i removed the hdmi and started up and it all started working.

I know that the hdmi shares the port with the secondary dvi but I figured I'd be able to have them all plugged in and disable that which I am not using.

As soon as the hdmi is plugged in the two monitors on dvi are disabled :(

Associate
So remove the other one? Strange, haven't had to do that before, always had them both connected when installing drivers. Will try that too. Thx.

yeah my 4870 in win7 with a hd tv connected and a monitor ...my monitor will go black ....i switch it over to tv and its all there waitin on meh ...lol switch it back and its all good .....so either unplug the tv or just switch it over and change it from there.

p.s cod4 in win7 seems to run great , it doesnt help u much but im just shouting it anyways lol.

Back
Top Bottom