Upgrade advice please!

Soldato
My spec since around Jan 2009;

Asus Maximus Formula X38
Intel Q9450 2.66Ghz @ 3.4Ghz
4GB OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum XTC
BFG GTX 260 OC
500GB Seagate + 2TB

Purchased this from the forums as a package (exc hdds) and its been running rock solid since :) Come xmas time or just after, I will be contemplating an upgrade if I can sell this bundle off at a decent price. Last time I sold off my Athlon X2 for an awesome price and this upgrade cost me next to nothing :D

I am not the kind of person to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. This handles everything I throw at it which is not much in terms of gaming these days but how would you upgrade the above?

I remember when I upgraded i7 was relatively new and v expensive, since then I have zero knowledge about whats come out and whats due to come out.

So any recommendations? The old 4GB vs 8GB arguement was common back then and I think most accepted 8GB makes next to no difference. Is it still the same? Should I opt for a new gfx card?

The only time I can say my system struggles is when running SF4 maxed out and also trying to run FRAPS when recording the game, it drops to a crawl. :eek: How can I remedy this? :)

Soldato
Looks good. Personally I would do one of these things (or a combination):

- Buy a new, large Non-TN monitor for it (dual monitor with 2405WFP and U2410 would be awesome)
- Buy an SSD for increase in day-to-day computer speeds
- Do a silencing upgrade (either watercool or replace all fans with quiet ones and control their speed).
- Get a 5870 (sell the BFG 260) for better graphics performance (not exactly necessary if your gtx 260 is giving you sufficient framerates). Also, you could always crossfire 2 in the future.
- Get a better/nicer looking/quieter case (not sure what your current case is)
- Get some awesome new peripherals like a G15 keyboard, high-end speakers or gaming laser mouse.
- Upgrade your bank balance with the money you saved yourself by doing nothing

Soldato
OP
yeh pick up another GTX260, wait for the new Nvidia cards next year or dip your toe in the ATi market for a 5870:D

Never ran 2 cards, and never EVER had an ATI card. :eek::p I would rather sell this card and buy another if there was something that offers significantly better performance for a 'decent' price.

- Buy a new, large Non-TN monitor for it (dual monitor with 2405WFP and U2410 would be awesome)

This dell 24" which I've had for years now still far exceeds my needs, I am happy to hold onto this yet. :)

- Buy an SSD for increase in day-to-day computer speeds

Hmmm, will consider this. Is the difference really noticeable? I use to have a 74GB raptor as my C drive for windows and in all honesty I could hardly notice any difference. How do these compare?

- Do a silencing upgrade (either watercool or replace all fans with quiet ones and control their speed).

Good idea, my PC could definately do with quietening down. :)

- Get a 5870 (sell the BFG 260) for better graphics performance (not exactly necessary if your gtx 260 is giving you sufficient framerates). Also, you could always crossfire 2 in the future.

How much do they go for roughly on MM? I am soon gonna get into resi 5 and batman arkham asylum, how is performance on this card compared to the 260 for those games?

- Get a better/nicer looking/quieter case (not sure what your current case is)

In sig. I'm happy with the case yet.

- Get some awesome new peripherals like a G15 keyboard, high-end speakers or gaming laser mouse.

Speakers are quite good, don't do any FPS games anymore so keyboard and mouse are fine for what I need.

- Upgrade your bank balance with the money you saved yourself by doing nothing

Best idea. :p

Back
Top Bottom