KVM over IP

Associate
Hi, I need a very cheap KVM over IP device which will allow me to remotely control a PC/server or install an OS. The PCs/servers will be sat behind a router also.

Does anyone know of a suitable solution? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Does the server not have an ILO card?

It needs a advanced licence to view a windows desktop :p

Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Advanced Pack gives you the ultimate remote control of system resources located in data centers and remote sites. With an iLO Advanced license key, you can activate powerful remote management features to install, configure, monitor, update, and troubleshoot remote ProLiant servers anywhere, anytime from a standard Web browser, command line or script.

iLO Advanced and iLO Standard give IT administrators complete "do-it-yourself" remote control eliminating the need for travel or onsite assistance. An iLO Advanced key unlocks the remote tools you need for complete virtual presence such as the graphic remote console, virtual media and Microsoft Terminal Services integration. In addition, iLO Advanced increases security by integrating iLO user administration with the Microsoft Active Directory or Novell eDirectory or advanced two-factor authentication. ILO delivers unique virtual presence remote management simplicity and agility that lowers operational costs, improves IT productivity and increases system availability.

Last edited:
Soldato
It might not be an HP server, others include that functionality as standard. Even if it is an HP, an advanced ILO licence is going to be cheaper than a KVMoIP system, especially if you want media redirection.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It might not be an HP server, others include that functionality as standard. Even if it is an HP, an advanced ILO licence is going to be cheaper than a KVMoIP system, especially if you want media redirection.

I was going to point that part out, but i was distracted at work and forgot to type it :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Depends, when you're looking at 16 port units I think it's comparable. Semi ridiculously we use both for a lot of machines. In terms of kit, there's not a lot of bad things to be said about Raritan KVMs.

We've also used a few of these recently...

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html

...which are very good indeed, particularly if you only need one server connected up at a time and you can get remote hands to do the actual connection.

Associate
OP
Well when I say "Server", its more of a PC that our IT department won't fully support. Because of its location, we would prefer to control it remotely, but if it loses its network connection for whatever reason, RDP isnt possible. Someone recommended KVM over IP, but I really want to keep the cost low.

I've come across an APC 5460, but it seems rather cheap. It can be found at http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP5460

Many thanks

Soldato
If its loosing network connection, is it caused by a network issue or a software issue? If the former, KVMoIP wont help you!

Associate
OP
If its loosing network connection, is it caused by a network issue or a software issue? If the former, KVMoIP wont help you!

When it loses a network connection, its caused by a software issue. Unfortunately, the software is so vital to the organisation, that we have to put up with any problems.

Associate
OP
Thats doesnt sound very clever :o

Its not, but there's not much else we can do. The company that developed the software went bust. Its a lot cheaper to just get a cheap KVM over IP device that will allow us to renew the IP address, instead of redeveloping the software.

Any comments on the link I gave in the 7th post?

Thanks

Associate
Well when I say "Server", its more of a PC that our IT department won't fully support. Because of its location, we would prefer to control it remotely, but if it loses its network connection for whatever reason, RDP isnt possible. Someone recommended KVM over IP, but I really want to keep the cost low.

I've come across an APC 5460, but it seems rather cheap. It can be found at http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP5460

Many thanks

That device is the server end of the KVM/IP. You still need the KVM to attach it to.

Back
Top Bottom