Nooby Questions need Anwsers.

Soldato
Hi guys my monitor is in my sig. Its 1920x1080 with a hdmi port, When i play games will all my games be in HD with that Res? Plus do i need to have a hdmi cable plugged in to have games running in HD Is a dvi cable the same thing?

Soldato
Your games should all be in HD (as well as everything else) if you set the output resolution of your graphics card to 1920x1080. Most games will sense the resolution you are playing at and adjust accordingly, though some may need you to set 1920x1080 manually while in-game.

You don't need the HDMI cable to be HD, DVI is perfectly capable of carrying HD and should be exactly the same quality as HDMI as they are basically the same thing with different connectors (and HDMI can carry sound).

Associate
I may be wrong here, but I don't understand the importance of having a full HD monitor that's 'only' 24". When I bought my first flat panel TV, I did a lot of research, and concluded that for the size of TV I wanted (37") 720p HD was more than enough. A very knowledgeable chap on a very well known AV Forum stated that to fully appreciate 1080p HD, you need a screen larger than 42".

I've loved every minute of my TV for the past two years, and Sky HD looks stunning.

Is the current trend towards 16:9 full HD PC monitors pure marketing, or am I missing something?

Soldato
I may be wrong here, but I don't understand the importance of having a full HD monitor that's 'only' 24". When I bought my first flat panel TV, I did a lot of research, and concluded that for the size of TV I wanted (37") 720p HD was more than enough. A very knowledgeable chap on a very well known AV Forum stated that to fully appreciate 1080p HD, you need a screen larger than 42".

I've loved every minute of my TV for the past two years, and Sky HD looks stunning.

Is the current trend towards 16:9 full HD PC monitors pure marketing, or am I missing something?

Hehe, you are quite right - so much of this is marketing. Full HD cannot compare to a better panel tech with a slightly lower resolution. But I guess as the OP already has the monitor he should definately make sure he runs it at native resolution or it will look a bit pants.

As for FullHD on a TV, I agree that 42in + is the way to go. My parents have an old 720p 37in plasma and when you actually run 720p video on it - it looks fantastic. It only looks a bit bad when you run standard def TV and DVDs on it, but that's always the way. However, for a monitor you are generally sitting a bit closer to it than a TV, so the pixel density needs to be much higher than a TV, but with regard to resolution/size vs panel quality - i think you know my opinions :D.

Last edited:
Associate
Another nooby question ( I apologise for the hyjack, but your question seems to have been answered).

If I connect my PS3 to my monitor, how can I get sound into my PC speakers?

One method I thought of was buy this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-104-SA&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

And connect my creative 5.1 surround sound to the monitor rather than my soundcard. That should produce pc sound when switched on, and ps3 sound when the ps3 is on. no?

EDIT:

Looks like all I need is an optical cable. "Output through PC Speakers via Optical - The above options will only give you 2.1 channels of sound. If we use the optical audio output of the PS3 rather than then using the component cables, we could potentially get 5.1 channels of surround sound. (Provided your sound card can handle that, and you have the proper speaker setup). After connecing your PS3 to your monitor you will have to purchase an optical cable (not included with the PS3). Plug one end into the PS3 and the other into your sound card (again, you need a sound card that supports this). Depending on your drivers and software, you can route this audio to your speakers. Better yet, your soundcard is now receiving 5.1/7.1 channels of audio and with the proper configuration, you can enjoy rich surround sounds." sauce ( http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/connect-ps3-xbox-to-ps-computer-speakers-with-surround-sound )

Does that mean the PC must be turned on, while the ps3 is turned on to achieve sound?

Last edited:
Associate
Hehe, you are quite right - so much of this is marketing. Full HD cannot compare to a better panel tech with a slightly lower resolution. But I guess as the OP already has the monitor he should definately make sure he runs it at native resolution or it will look a bit pants.
Absolutely, my new display looked bleedin' awful until I set it to native resolution, worried me for a bit!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
You don't need the HDMI cable to be HD, DVI is perfectly capable of carrying HD and should be exactly the same quality as HDMI as they are basically the same thing with different connectors (and HDMI can carry sound).

Sorry for being thick :o

So i am currently using a dvi - dvi cable so even if i switched to dvi - HDMI cable (as my monitor does have HDMI connection) then it be exactly the same pic quality (HD) regardless?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom