Exchange 2003 - 07 Migration... Offline defrag?

Soldato
Hi All,

Hearing lots of conflicting stories as to whether an offline defrag of databases is worth it after migrating from exchange 03 to 07.

This is with 4 SGS, 5 db's per SG. Average size of databases are 50gb. Approximately 600 users have been migrated. I'm not that concerned about disk usage...so if that's the only benefit then I may not bother.

Worth going to the hassle of running a defrag and inconveniencing blackberry users for the brief period that it runs? (I've heard speeds of 5GB an hour!!)

Cheers

Associate
Unless you get messages in the eventlog talking about corruption, I wouldn't bother.. The only benefit you'll get is a guarantee of no corruption and probably a small amount of disk space back! I would say we didn't bother, but we moved physical server at the same time, so the databases were fresh.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
If its not broke dont fix it. Unless you are having performance problems i really wouldnt dismount the information store just to do a defrag. Exchange is a very fickle thing indeed.

Andy

Associate
Exchange is a very fickle thing indeed.
No, it's not. Exchange is the least fickle of all MS product's I've ever had to use.

You might not see any major benefit after the defrag, but it's just good practice. Don't be pushed around by BB users. If they can't live without email during some offpeak time, then they need to get a life outside of the office.

Soldato
You might not see any major benefit after the defrag, but it's just good practice.

Regular defragging of exchange databases is NOT good practice, Microsoft recomend you only perform them if they are required which is a very rare.

As for your second comment about blackberry users welcome to the real world you work in IT support so SUPPORT your users and there requirments don't tell them to get a life.

Associate
Regular defragging of exchange databases is NOT good practice, Microsoft recomend you only perform them if they are required which is a very rare.
Did I say anything about "regular" offline defrags? No.
This guy has probably not had a reason to run a defrag in years, since he's migrated from 03 to 07, now is a good opportunity to perform a healthcheck on the db & clearout the cobwebs

As for your second comment about blackberry users welcome to the real world you work in IT support so SUPPORT your users and there requirments don't tell them to get a life.
Preventative maintenance is essential to properly supporting my users. If they can't survive without email for a couple of hours during offpeak time (ie weekend, in the wee hours), then they've got a problem. What would you prefer, a scheduled maintenace program, or a "fix it when it gones down" strategy?

Back
Top Bottom