£6 broadband levy may be trebled for homes with multiple lines

Permabanned
I wish it was that easy. It just isn't. The reason many other countries can have broadband MANY times the speed of ours, isn't because our telecomms companies don't invest, it's because they're starting from a fresh canvas. We have to upgrade (replace) kit and that costs crap loads of money. In a way later in life being a the forefront of tech can cost, and that's what we're hitting right now.

What are you saying, countries like Japan didn't have telephones until recently?

Caporegime
Thats why we have a free market if there is a demand then there will be a supply, when BT went private we were told that a private company would improve the infrastructure etc... and no tax money would be used.

I almost posted about how this sort of things attracts conservative quasi-libertarian thinking, but I decided against it...

Some things just don't lend themselves to privatised running, and national infrastructure is one of those things.

Man of Honour
Thats why we have a free market if there is a demand then there will be a supply, when BT went private we were told that a private company would improve the infrastructure etc... and no tax money would be used.
if am going to pay for it then i dont expect companies to charge high prices for that product and i will expect prices to drop.

except high speed broadband is becoming essential. Prices are going to increase. Companies can not sustain high down loaders at current costs. with more and more traffic intensive apps and things to do on the net. the average bandwidth people are using is shooting upwards. the current model is not sustainable.

How does a free market work on infrastructure which costs billions to put in. each company can't afford this. This is where you need a public infrastructure then companies rent space of the government and that profit is reinvested.

Soldato
because now internet is becoming essential. and he massive business use and connection with economy. The Uk like every country needs a high speed internet connection. This costs money.

:rolleyes: it is a tax. Everything costs money where do you think all of government spending comes from. Unlike many other things the government waste money on, high-speed broadband is not a waste.

what can be done on a faster connection (10mb) that cannot be done on a slow connection (256kb)...

a connection thats reliable I agree with but how will a 9000k faster line make poeple buy more from amazon, tescos, the local grocers / pet shop?

Soldato
what can be done on a faster connection (10mb) that cannot be done on a slow connection (256kb)...

a connection thats reliable I agree with but how will a 9000k faster line make poeple buy more from amazon, tescos, the local grocers / pet shop?

Streaming TV, streaming movies ...

There will be no need for satellite TV or TV at all for that matter if we can do it all via the IP network

Man of Honour

are they up and coming technologies and ways of using the internet?

New services require large speed and large amounts of data flow. without it UK economy will suffer compared to other countries.

Soldato
Done a search and couldn't see the point in starting another thread.

Looks like this is really going ahead

Now normally that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I've absolutely no objection to paying a small amount given that it will be directed towards providing me and many others with a better all round service.

The money made will be put into a fund to ensure rural areas of the UK do not miss out on super-fast broadband services. The government would provide super-fast broadband to 90% of the UK by the end of 2017.

If I really believed this would actually happen then I'd gladly pay it. Given our current governments previous financial record I'd be more inclined to believe my hard earned beer tokens will be put towards a new duck house for some upper class political twonk who is out to line his own pockets at the expense of the tax payer.

We are modernising the UK's digital infrastructure and, in the process, creating thousands more skilled jobs.

We're modernising it? Compared to many other EU countries we're a laughing stock and mile's behind in terms of broadband speeds. Surely pumping more money into BT's aging ADSL backbone is a lesson in futility given that it is already struggling at peak times to supply the demand already requested from it?

You're thoughts?

Soldato
I already get the shaft when it comes to broadband speeds due to living in hull :(

Karoo (my one and only ISP due to no other ISPs operating in hull) currently offer 24mb speeds as a max right for £30 a month. I live in a new house on a new housing estate and everyone in my street cannot get more than 3.5mb connection speed. It's just appauling.

Soldato
Why should the internet side of 21CN be funded by line rental ...
Line rental should ONLY fund the phone network and the exchange->home line

Anything else BT need funded should come from their own profits or their broadband customers.

I'm on LLU, yet I still pay the £10 to BT ... why should any of my money go towards 21CN that I can't use anyway?

21CN is about BT doing away with the 261 different networks they have to provide their services and introducing just 1 or 2 IP switching networks. One of the biggest changes is all Exchanges being linked by fibre. It doesn't matter how you get your Internet, at some point you will be using BT's new network infrastructure.

Associate
this is crazy tbh, i pay £30 p/m to get my bb which isn't even running at its full advertised speed.

Now you want to change me more so you can upgrade YOUR product.
nuts it is, freaking nuts

ljt

ljt

Soldato
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about this money basically guaranteed to go to BT.

That simply isn't the case. The tax will go into a digital Britain fund which will be then offered to various companies to bid for the work. This means companies like Virgin/Openreach/Telent/Enterprise etc would bid for a chunk of the money to lay extra duct through a village etc. It isn't going direct to BT Openreach as they will have to bid for contracts along with anyone else

Soldato
I almost posted about how this sort of things attracts conservative quasi-libertarian thinking, but I decided against it...

Some things just don't lend themselves to privatised running, and national infrastructure is one of those things.

You need only look at Ireland to see how true this statement is. Privitising Eircom did wonders for our telecommunications infrastructure, oh wait....

Back
Top Bottom