Anyone had a puppy ?

Permabanned
Bought a king charles cavalier the other day.

After lots of hard thought we did it.

but now all of us (me, mum dad) are having second thoughts, and thinking of taking him back. He cost us £600 but we dont care about the money.

Basically hes not settling well at night, crys all night no matter what we do, none of us have any sleep, cant leave him on his own for more than 3 hours at a time, and all of us work/study in plymouth which is 30 miles away.

I feel really guilty but its like having a baby with no idea what the baby wants when he crys, and i would rather think about it now than when hes properly settled, so he wont pine for us.

thoughts ? stick with it ? will he get better as time goes on ?

Caporegime
We have the same dog, bought at the same age and I think he was a bit like that. He got settled eventually though, so maybe just wait a bit longer?

Caporegime
Puppys cry because it is scared / wants its mum and wants attention.

You have a new puppy and leave it for 3 hours at a time?

Sounds like you all made a bad call getting a puppy given your family situation.

Permabanned
OP
We have finally got him potty trained, but he wants to go every single time he wakes up, and we cant just let him out, we have to carry him out into an enclosed fenced off part of the garden, in the ice. Up down up down up down then he will randomly **** on the middle of the floor in the lounge anyway :S

Soldato
Sounds a bit harsh to get rid of the little guy just because it has not fit right in straight away :(
Stick with it and do some research - things will help and really improve. Our pupp is now 4months old and is perfectly trained and sleeps all night long (a great change from the first few nights we had her!)

Permabanned
OP
Puppys cry because it is scared / wants its mum and wants attention.

You have a new puppy and leave it for 3 hours at a time?

Sounds like you all made a bad call getting a puppy given your family situation.

No, not at the moment we dont, i keep cancelling uni lectures so i can stay with him, as currently they arent too important that I go (ISM's).

You all work 30 miles away? Is he alone all day?

Not currently, my nan can look after him (she lives 3 miles away) but not untill hes properly toilet trained as she cant pick him up due to arthritis.

Caporegime
Bought a king charles cavalier the other day.

After lots of hard thought we did it.

but now all of us (me, mum dad) are having second thoughts, and thinking of taking him back. He cost us £600 but we dont care about the money.

Basically hes not settling well at night, crys all night no matter what we do, none of us have any sleep, cant leave him on his own for more than 3 hours at a time, and all of us work/study in plymouth which is 30 miles away.

I feel really guilty but its like having a baby with no idea what the baby wants when he crys, and i would rather think about it now than when hes properly settled, so he wont pine for us.

thoughts ? stick with it ? will he get better as time goes on ?

This is entirely normal.

A few ideas:

Put a clock in the room where it sleeps. (Analogue) The ticking rhythm is supposed to remind it of it's mother's heartbeat.

Put an old item of your clothing in it's bedding. This will both comfort the pup and also help with 'bonding'.

Else, there's not much you can do. Ours stopped the crying after about 3 nights. It will stop though.

Transmission breaker
Don
A dog is almost as much of a commitment as a child. If you cant look after him, give him to someone who can.

It sounds like to me you did no research, and now can't be bother with the commitment.

Pine for you? The poor thing can read your emotions and knows that you begrudge him, and will be glad to be shot of you.

Soldato
Our KCS was the same. i had to sleep with him at night at first then we put a radio on (talk shows only) and it comforted him during the night.
Get some plastic sheet and put some news paper on it so he does his stuff on that. As above. get a sweaty t-shirt of yours and give it him as a blanket.

Associate
He's a baby! We have a puppy too and they aren't easy! You can't reason with them, they don't understand you and rely on you 100%.
He has to come first. If you can't look after him (which does mean spending a lot of time with him, putting up with the peeing until he's trained and putting in a LOT of effort and hard work) - find someone who can.
Hard - but you have to do the right thing for him.

Soldato
A dog is almost as much of a commitment as a child. If you cant look after him, give him to someone who can.

It sounds like to me you did no research, and now can't be bother with the commitment.

Pine for you? The poor thing can read your emotions and knows that you begrudge him, and will be glad to be shot of you.

I completely agree with this. An adult dog wouldn't settle in that quickly so why would a puppy?!?

Soldato
When you say 'the other day' how long have you actually had him, it'll take a week or two of whining and pining before they settle down. Get a bit cuddly toy dog that they can snuggle up to at night as a 'mum' replacement.

Associate
Can you not get a dog sitter/walker to come in come in a couple of times a day, in
between when you guys are there so he isn't on his own for such extended periods. Just as is temporary measure until his is toilet trained and your nan can look after him?

Soldato
Give the poor thing a chance...

You cant expect it to INSTANTLY be a perfect dog...

Please give it to burnsy if you cant handle it, don't send it back.

Edit: id seriously give it more effort and go through with it. Its so worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom