• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Phenom II X6

Caporegime
some retailers cllaim to have them in teh warehouses but they cant sell them yet.

guess we wont have to wait much longer

Soldato
If you clock all cores to the same max clock, it won't reach 4.3ghz. Best to enable turbo to go that far with 3, then if you have one or more apps that only utilise one thread, then their tasks are completed faster.

It makes sense really, if you're not using 1-3 cores, might aswell cut the multi to save energy, and up the others to make those cores complete things faster.

Soldato
I can't see how overclocking with Turbo enabled is bad, in fact sounds perfect for an every day overclock. That is if you can set the turbo settings aswell. You could run a 3.8ghz normal clock with 4.3ghz turbo if the benchmarks are to be believed.
but your forgetting about the voltage..

i think turbo core only up's the multipler...

if u run a 3.8ghz normal clock with lets set 1.375v, when turbo is on the multipler will go up but the voltage stays at 1.375v so it'll fail.

turbo core is fine for stock because amd as made sure these chip as enough headroom on stock voltage for turbo

Last edited:
Soldato
Because £100 is nothing :rolleyes:

But considering how many games are going to be console ports (hence tricore optimised), boosting 3 up past normal limits wouldn't be a bad thing - IF it's stable.

Soldato
Because £100 is nothing :rolleyes:

But considering how many games are going to be console ports (hence tricore optimised), boosting 3 up past normal limits wouldn't be a bad thing - IF it's stable.

When considering an entire new rig for £1600, £100 equates to just over 6%. Not really a deal breaker in the scheme of things ;)

Caporegime
When considering an entire new rig for £1600, £100 equates to just over 6%. Not really a deal breaker in the scheme of things ;)

most people dont spend anywhere near 1600 quid though i doubt that 1600 quid even included just the base components.

cpu+motherboard+memory

you cant say you need XXX more on a case , gpu etc just because your going intel only the cost of the mobo+cpu+memory matters in comparisons between cpus

Soldato
but your forgetting about the voltage..

i think turbo core only up's the multipler...

if u run a 3.8ghz normal clock with lets set 1.375v, when turbo is on the multipler will go up but the voltage stays at 1.375v so it'll fail.

turbo core is fine for stock because amd as made sure these chip as enough headroom on stock voltage for turbo

I was under the impression that Turbo boosted the voltage aswell? When twinned with C&Q it'd have the same effect though, the 800mhz cores will be running with 0.8v or something like that, then the other cores will be set to the max voltage of whatever is set? So if you set it to 1.5v or near so it is stable with a 4.3ghz turbo, then life is good.

It's also struck me though, how can you test turbo for stability? can you set Prime95 to only run on certain cores? Every combination of 1 core, 2 cores and 3 cores at turbo will need to be tested.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
These chips are going to have to be good as by my recent calculations an i7 setup would only be around £100 more...

What you have to consider is that most people considering X6's already have Phenom setups of some kind, and its a simple case of swapping out the CPU... not building an entire new rig or moving platform.

Soldato
It sounds like they'd work best with one of the 890 chipset motherboards though. If I got one I'd change my current board for the crosshair IV formula one.

Soldato
I was under the impression that Turbo boosted the voltage aswell? When twinned with C&Q it'd have the same effect though, the 800mhz cores will be running with 0.8v or something like that, then the other cores will be set to the max voltage of whatever is set? So if you set it to 1.5v or near so it is stable with a 4.3ghz turbo, then life is good.

i've read a manuel for a 890fx and the only setting for turbo core is enable/disable. no other options

It's also struck me though, how can you test turbo for stability? can you set Prime95 to only run on certain cores? Every combination of 1 core, 2 cores and 3 cores at turbo will need to be tested.
u could set Prime95 to only run 3 threads and then windows task manager to limit prine95 to only use core 0, 1, 2

Last edited:
Soldato
What you have to consider is that most people considering X6's already have Phenom setups of some kind, and its a simple case of swapping out the CPU... not building an entire new rig or moving platform.

What you didn't consider was I am building a new rig so to me £100 isn't really the issue. As for coming from a Phenom set up for the extra performance, if there is any outside of highly multi threaded apps, then the cost for a little more seems to make even less sense. So a small upgrade on the same platform doesn't make sense, neither does switching from an existing platform like i7 or top end i5 which only leaves those considering new rigs or big upgrades.

With that in mind I stand by my £100 difference not really being a deal breaker ;)

Oh and arknor there are loads of people on here that spend much more than this on a new rig and £1600 every 6yrs or so isn't too bad in my mind :)

Soldato
Got my 890FX board up and running.
I miss the gigabyte BIOS so much =/.
which make?

i don't like asrock 890FX board because of the bios but the layout of the pci/e's is nice

the gigabyte 890FX board have better bios's but the layout of the pci/e's is bad and only 1 pci slot

Last edited:
Caporegime
What you didn't consider was I am building a new rig so to me £100 isn't really the issue. As for coming from a Phenom set up for the extra performance, if there is any outside of highly multi threaded apps, then the cost for a little more seems to make even less sense. So a small upgrade on the same platform doesn't make sense, neither does switching from an existing platform like i7 or top end i5 which only leaves those considering new rigs or big upgrades.

With that in mind I stand by my £100 difference not really being a deal breaker ;)

Oh and arknor there are loads of people on here that spend much more than this on a new rig and £1600 every 6yrs or so isn't too bad in my mind :)

theres loads of people who dont though most only spend around 700 on a base unit.

1600 every 6 years would be better turned into 800 every 3 years ;)

to some 100 quid does matter but i guess it depends on how much of your comp your upgrading a lot of us buy a really nice expensive case to keep for a very long time then only really upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram+gfx card every other year and new hdd/cd/monitor as needed

Back
Top Bottom