TT races

Associate
Been watching on ITV 4....These racers amaze me every year and the onboard footage is fantastic...Ian Hutchinson 19.92 mins and 130.614 mph average speed:eek:

Associate
Mates uncle quit after he was tanking round a corner, thinking he was going to total it he was so on the edge, when a guy undertook him wiping his visor

Soldato
It boggles the mind, it really does, we talk about ghostrider etc on here and hes very impressive but I just can't quite fathom how these guys manage to do what they do.

My sister used to live on IOM so was lucky enough to get to see the races for a good few years, and sitting on the side of the road at the bottom of the mountain section as bikes come past at 200mph literally a foot from your face is just unbelievable. I'd urge anyone to go who has never been, because it wont be around forever.

Small clip of McGuinness +130mph lap in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-t3edy4Hv8

Last edited:
Associate
Massive respect for these guys , and of course they are a bit mad ;)

These guys go around corners at huge speeds , Ghostrider goes in straight lines , no comparison :p

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
The build up shows have been superb with all the old racers commenting like Giacomo Agostini & watching the old footage has been Brilliant.
Words cannot express how superb the TT is. :cool:

Soldato
131.511mph from a standing start for Conor Cummins!!!! Seriously impressive and if he hadn't broke down that would have been his or McGuinness i think but hutchy would have pushed both and might still have grabbed it! :D

Soldato
The TT is amazing, the top guys have both silly amounts of skill, as well as balls of titanium to do what they do, stunning to see

Feel really sorry for Conor Cummins, held a fairly respectable lead, had a problem in the pit stop and then the bike died completely, he must be gutted...

Anyone know what happened to McGuinness?

Well done to Hutchinson for the win though, and a shame guy martin got the penalty for the pit lane speeding.

I'd love to race that course though, although I think I'd prefer my 400 to a superbike, bit more sedate may not scare me quite so much :p It'd be utterly terrifying in bits even on a measly 400 to actually try to run 'race pace' round there, but would be such an awesome rush if you manage not to kill yourself :)

Soldato
I'd love to race that course though, although I think I'd prefer my 400 to a superbike, bit more sedate may not scare me quite so much :p It'd be utterly terrifying in bits even on a measly 400 to actually try to run 'race pace' round there, but would be such an awesome rush if you manage not to kill yourself :)

Then go over there and do it! The mountain section is one way for the whole of TT fortnight and you can ride it as many times as you like, as well as the rest of the circuit (although the rest of it is normal traffic and 30 zones etc).

I went back for the centenary (used to live there for 5 years) and must have done 20 or 30 laps of the mountain section on my ZX9r - it's an absolute adrenaline rush! Far more so Ghana a track day IMO

Associate
Yes great place to go but dont they cone the mountain off these days ?

They do on my fav bit from kates cottage down to and past the cregg , its single lane cones all over the place , and at the top of the mountain where the tram tracks are its the same
Last time i went on two wheel's ( 1995 ) you got the whole mountain to play on :D allthough it was two way traffic apart from mad sunday when it was one way only

he he you still got some loonies going the wrong way round :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Then go over there and do it! The mountain section is one way for the whole of TT fortnight and you can ride it as many times as you like, as well as the rest of the circuit (although the rest of it is normal traffic and 30 zones etc).

I went back for the centenary (used to live there for 5 years) and must have done 20 or 30 laps of the mountain section on my ZX9r - it's an absolute adrenaline rush! Far more so Ghana a track day IMO

Just a couple of problems, my bike's not road legal and I'd much rather have the safety of marshals if I was to ride it properly :p

But if I keep improving as a rider I'm hoping to get my National licence in a couple of years, and then I'll probably enter the Manx GP :)

Soldato
That bit is, but the vast majority of the mountain isn't - its far far better in its present form. You've got every day to go round and round and you don't need to worry about hung over germans forgetting what side of the road they should be on. I guess they put the cones down to the Creg to stop bikes outbraking themselves and ending up in the bar ;)

Associate
But if I keep improving as a rider I'm hoping to get my National licence in a couple of years, and then I'll probably enter the Manx GP :)

I did the Manx GP in 2003 on a CBR600FY; I only just qualified with 5 laps as I was plagued with engine troubles all practice week; then my engine gave up (crank cases cracked) on the second lap of the newcomers race when I was in fourth place. Got that fixed and proceeded to fall off in the senior race at the Verandah on the mountain; broke both legs, my right arm and two fingers on my left hand.

Not something you forget in a hurry; you can still see the gate post I took out on google earth lying next to the new gate :o

Was pleased with doing a 111.81mph lap. Doesn't sound like much these days when the guys are doing 131+ but it's not as easy at it looks on TV!

Soldato
You make it sound so inviting, only both legs, an arm and a couple of fingers :p

Shame you had so many problems though, do you still race? and if so not tempted to do it again? :p

EDIT:
To make this post vaquely on topic, did anyone see Guy Martin after getting 2nd in the supersport, don't think he was very happy :p

Last edited:
Associate
To make this post vaquely on topic, did anyone see Guy Martin after getting 2nd in the supersport, don't think he was very happy :p

I don't blame him at all. They clocked him at 0.122 mph over the speed limit. For that figure to be accurate, the measuring equipment would have to be accurate to 0.003%. That's clearly rubbish. For a figure of 0.1 mph over the limit to be accurate would require the equipment to have an accuracy of 0.2%. If the equipment had an error of 1%, which is more likely, that would mean 0.6 mph.

It's very likely that the extra 0.122 mph falls within the random error of the instrument. This is why there is usually a tolerance so that people can say "even if we account for random error, he was still over the speed limit". We can't say that in this case.

It's clear that the organisers screwed up and are refusing to admit it.

Associate
I can understand why Guy is annoyed; however everyone else in the race managed to stay within the set limit; They have created that limit for a reason and being stood pit side before they put this limit in was pretty scary to say the least!

It's like when Ian Hutchinson was disqualified a few years ago for his exhaust cam having 2 thousands of an inch too much lift. You have to have a limit somewhere and if you dont enforce it you might as well not bother having any rules or regulations at all.

Back
Top Bottom