• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead Graphics card?

Associate
This may sound like a stupid question but here go's

How do a tell if my graphics cars has died?

Recently I though my motherboard had died and replaced it the cpu and ram. However still the system powers on but nothing is displayed on the monitor.

I have looked at the card with the case off and the fan is spinning so it looks like it is on.

Seems like a bit of a coincidence that the sytem is still not working.

I have tried to RDP into the machine after it starts but it has not loged on to the router. This is what made me think that it was the MB as I thought if it was just the card the system would still log onto the router.

I don't want to splash out on a new card if I don't have to.

It is a GTX 8800.

Any ideas?

Permabanned
How do a tell if my graphics cars has died?

Try it in another machine - or try a different card in your machine (at least this will help to resolve the issue somewhat, it doesnt prove your card is damaged)

You may have replaced a working mobo ram and CPU but did you upgrade?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try it in another machine - or try a different card in your machine (at least this will help to resolve the issue somewhat, it doesnt prove your card is damaged)

You may have replaced a working mobo ram and CPU but did you upgrade?

Yeah I did upgrade I have now got:

Intel Core i7 930
6Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz
Asus P6X58D-E

So I guess my next stop is to post another thread here asking for graphics card recommendations!!

Permabanned
Maybe I should try connecting outside the case with the new one...

Worth a shot

I have an old 7600GT thats showing artifacts that I keep as a spare - people sell them on MM for £5-£10, just get one for problem solving.

As for suggestions for a new GFX card... well thats a mine field waiting for you:D

Associate
OP
Worth a shot

I have an old 7600GT thats showing artifacts that I keep as a spare - people sell them on MM for £5-£10, just get one for problem solving.

As for suggestions for a new GFX card... well thats a mine field waiting for you:D

Well I tried it with the new PSU no luck so it looks like I am in the market for a Graphics card.

I am going to try and exercise some restraint and get the 460 instead of the 480 based purely on price.

Associate
i know this might sound totally pathetic but i am being 100% honest in what happened to me in the past.

i had this EXACT same problem and thought my card had shot it. i bought another card and got exactly the same problem. assumed it was mobo. changed that for an identical 2nd hand one off fleabay.

at 1st i thought ahh great it was the mobo as this one fired up and i could see the video output. on 2nd reboot i lost picture again but this was the new card i had bough so now i had 2 boards not working or 2 cards not working.

somebody told me to take the cmos battery out & fire it up without the battery, i did and guess what, picture came back. i put the battery back in and it stayed on. 2 days later it packed up again. i ordered a pack of new batteries, changed it on that mobo and it worked ever since. i dropped a new battery in the mobo i thought had died and that then worked 100% too.

both of these were old 939 boards with agp cards though if that bears any relevance. i don't understand how they can effect it or even if they were the cause, all i know is i powered up without the battery and i got picture back. i put new batteries in and i never lost the picture again. as far as i was concerned i had 2 dodgy batteries. chances against that, dunno.

it's sounds like a load of balls but that is what happened to me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i know this might sound totally pathetic but i am being 100% honest in what happened to me in the past.

i had this EXACT same problem and thought my card had shot it. i bought another card and got exactly the same problem. assumed it was mobo. changed that for an identical 2nd hand one off fleabay.

at 1st i thought ahh great it was the mobo as this one fired up and i could see the video output. on 2nd reboot i lost picture again but this was the new card i had bough so now i had 2 boards not working or 2 cards not working.

somebody told me to take the cmos battery out & fire it up without the battery, i did and guess what, picture came back. i put the battery back in and it stayed on. 2 days later it packed up again. i ordered a pack of new batteries, changed it on that mobo and it worked ever since. i dropped a new battery in the mobo i thought had died and that then worked 100% too.

both of these were old 939 boards with agp cards though if that bears any relevance. i don't understand how they can effect it or even if they were the cause, all i know is i powered up without the battery and i got picture back. i put new batteries in and i never lost the picture again. as far as i was concerned i had 2 dodgy batteries. chances against that, dunno.

it's sounds like a load of balls but that is what happened to me.

Jeez that does sound similar. I will give it a go, nothing to loose. Although I am fairly sure that is not my problem as I originally lost the picture when I fired up a game, then successive reboots later have not brought it back :(

Back
Top Bottom