Help Needed - What Comp/Barb Fittings do i need?

Associate
Hi Everyone. I hope you can help. Im a bit of a n00b when it comes to WC, but during a clearout i came across my old Coolermaster ALC-u01 unit, it seems a waste to not use it.

Before I continue, yes i know its not going to perform great, I could build a much better bespoke system, but as these parts are lying around hell, it has to be tested right?
The old waterblock cracked, and wont fit anyway as im hoping to install this on a 775 system, so I have invested in another waterblock. A Swifttech GTX

Im new to all these plumbing bits, so not too sure what im doing so any help is appreciated.
I have included a pic so that i can try and describe what i have (or believe that i have) and what im trying to do.

wc_assistance.jpg

1 – a 1p piece, to get an idea of sizes as mine may be off.
2 – The waterblock from my Coolermaster ALC-U01 Unit.
Details are reviews of unit are :
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/cooling/cmaquagate/
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cooling/Aquagate_ALC-U01_1.html
3 – a Swifttech Apogee GTX WaterBlock
4 – not sure what the size is?
5 – the barbs that fit into 4. The internal diameter seems to be 10mm?
6 – The hose im wanting to attach to – reading the reviews i believe this to be 3/8” – but if thats the case it must be 3/8 Outer Diameter Hose that connected to 2 with Compression fittings. Does that seem about right?
I had a look online, and if i was honest i don’t have a clue what i should be looking at – can anyone help me and point me in the direction of the barbs or compression fittings i should be looking at.

Associate
I honestly wouldn't bother with that coolermaster kit, from what I can see it looks like the radiator is aluminium so you'd get some pretty awful galvanic corrosion if you put that Apogee GTX in a loop with it.

Associate
OP
I honestly wouldn't bother with that coolermaster kit, from what I can see it looks like the radiator is aluminium so you'd get some pretty awful galvanic corrosion if you put that Apogee GTX in a loop with it.

Really? the old Waterblock that came with the Kit was actually copper too!

Associate
Chances are the original coolant was something with a high percentage of ethylene glycol in it, to act as a corrosion inhibitor, so I suppose you could do the same when rebuilding it. I know you said you weren't too bothered about performance, but with only an 80mm radiator this thing is going to perform seriously poorly.

The GTX has G1/4" threads on the block for barbs, so you'll need some new barbs for the GTX unless the ones that came with the coolermaster kit have the correct thread size. Unfortunately OCUK don't sell 5/16" barbs but there are other stores that do.

Soldato
10mm ID barbs are 1/2 inch high flows - worth keeping
as is the GTX (especially as it's got the optional copper top)

The rest isn't really worth much - a new £10 HSF will beat ALC-U01
Sell the block or buy a rad, pump/res and some tube.

Back
Top Bottom