Need to buy a Wireless Router

Associate
Hi All,

I need to purchase a wireless ADSL router that is able to automatically forward HTTP/HTTPs connections onto a hosted external proxy.

For example, the device should be able to forward these connections onto proxy.domain.com:3128 for the purpose of content filtering.

The proxy does not require authentication.

Can anyone recommend some suitable devices? Note that the device must be able to forward this traffic on transparently, i.e. without having to configure the browsers on the networked devices.

Many thanks in advance.

wjfcomputers

Associate
Don't know of any sensible price routers that include transparent upstream proxy out of the box. However DDWRT is a popular custom firmware that does this and can be installed on many models of branded router. Most common are the Linksys WRT series (WRT54G, WRT310N, WRT610N etc). No models have an inbuilt ADSL modem but this is easy to add separately (e.g. Draytek 120) to achieve the same result.

Associate
OP
Don't know of any sensible price routers that include transparent upstream proxy out of the box. However DDWRT is a popular custom firmware that does this and can be installed on many models of branded router. Most common are the Linksys WRT series (WRT54G, WRT310N, WRT610N etc). No models have an inbuilt ADSL modem but this is easy to add separately (e.g. Draytek 120) to achieve the same result.

Thanks vsmora!

So are you sure that you can configure DD-WRT to forward connections to an external proxy? All of the documentation I have read indicates that DD-WRT can connect to an internal proxy server.

I don't see why external would be any different, I just want to make sure before I purchase :)

Associate
Simplest would be to install the Tinyproxy package for DD-WRT which supports external upstream.

You could cut the risk down by simply utilising any old PC and free sw. Pfsense (+ Squid) or IPCop (+ Advanced Proxy) are both respected products. I use pf all the time but the IPCop combo looks the easiest to get going for what you want. Initially you can test some wired PCs by plugging into the existing router. For final deployment replace the original router with an ethernet modem for ADSL connectivity and a downstream WAP for the wifi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom