Cooling advice from current OC

Associate
I'm currently running an i3 530 2.93 @ 4.01Ghz, Vcore: 1.296V, 2x2GB [email protected] 9-9-9-24-2, ambient temp 25.8, case temp 37C

Using IntelBurst to stress test at 3024MB I get:

Idle Core #0 44C #2 40C and at load Core #0 76C Core #2 72C

If I back off the memory timings a bit to 9-9-9-28-2 I get temps of Core #0 69C. My QPI is currently at 44x 4202Mhz (not sure if I should back that off a bit)

System is completely stable but I'm wondering whether I should be looking at improving my cooling (Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev2) or if I'm OK?

I'm still planning on experimenting with lowering the Vcore and running some more tests, I had a stable 4.2GHz OC at 1.32V but temps were going up to 78/79C under load.

Associate
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-c12p_se14_review/4

May be of interest to you. Basically says the cooler cant keep a i7 oc at decent temps but keeps the i3 530 oc 4G at under 50C. Is a low profile cooler mind you and expensive. But it will have better resale value when you upgrade again im sure. i think I may get one of these.

Just thought as well that the sandy bridge will also be the same size as the clarkdale? 32n? Maybe this will be ok for these also if you upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is this one of the oc bundles? Or did you put the thing together yourself? Thinking of buying one but not a chance if its that hot under load.

It's an OCUK bundle http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OE&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=

However I am still experimenting with tweaking (or possibly making a mess) of some settings.

As mentioned temps are lower if i use the recommended 9-9-9-28-2 timings on the DRAM. Plus I'm in Malta so aside from pretty high ambient air temp we've also got around 80% humidity at the moment.

Associate
Ok thanks. I guess that would make a fair difference. I still would not trust the freezer pro even living in sunny old England. If this Noctua NH-C12P SE14 fits the MB I think Ill definatly get one. What did you think of it?

Associate
OP
I really like the bundle and for the price I think it's really good value. I didn't get any temp changes at 4.2GHz and Vcore of 1.32V and it ran perfectly happily and stable, it's only when I squeeze the timing to the rated 9-9-9-24-2 that I noticed the highest load temps.

I would be interested to see what other cooler I can run, the Artic is pretty big inside my case, but will need to check if the SE14 fits.

Soldato
Don't look at the core temps, they're not real, you need to look at one of the TPIN temperatures, that will give you the true CPU temperature. Any chance of a screenshot of HW monitor?

Associate
i have used coretemp for ages and it gives the same temps as my bios so i think its quite accurate (then again hopeing my bios is correct :p )

Associate
OP
Screenshots

Idle Temps

Under Stress Test

Temps according to TEMPIN2 are then very different @58C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom