Skiing Season!

Don
Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap 'n cheerful destination?

well the 3 vallees are often considered to be expensive, but for good reason, one of the largest skiable areas on a single lift pass and the lift system is awesome (go to chamonix to see an example of a poor equivalent), the expensive areas are courchevel 1650/1850 the lower areas are surprisingly cost effective, aim for courchevel 1550, le praz, la tania, st bon or for a real budget brides le bains. The lift pass cost doesnt drop but the accomodation certainly does

I've skiied and instructed in a hell of a lot of resorts and none quite come close to the 3 vallees for me.

Soldato
First timers?

Enjoy La Face. ;)

La face is totally overrated :p

I'm off out in January and March but could have gone over new year but couldnt find the funds for that amount, let alone the holiday. Though I did do 4 weeks last year... and the year before. :D

I've been loads, but the gf hasn't, at all. She's coming out in March with me and I'm teaching her to ski. Welcome to the end of our relationship!! Haha

I totally cannot wait right now, it couldn't come soon enough. Keeping my eyes peeled for some K2 Public enemies if anyone sees any about!

Don
La face is totally overrated :p

I'm off out in January and March but could have gone over new year but couldnt find the funds for that amount, let alone the holiday. Though I did do 4 weeks last year... and the year before. :D

I've been loads, but the gf hasn't, at all. She's coming out in March with me and I'm teaching her to ski. Welcome to the end of our relationship!! Haha

I totally cannot wait right now, it couldn't come soon enough. Keeping my eyes peeled for some K2 Public enemies if anyone sees any about!

kung fujas, obsetheds or hell bents are where its at

skis.JPG

those are my hell bents next to my old dailies (which were already fat!) 132 under foot and massively rockered

me2.jpg

try a pair, you will never look back

Soldato
No set budget really. Went a couple of years ago for the first time to Chamonix and would just like to go again. Was that all bought separately or as a package Orange Peel?

We booked the flights seperately and got the chalet owners to get our passes. They also do the transfers.

We've been to the same place for the past 6 years. Always costing around the same price.

Caporegime
Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap 'n cheerful destination?

I think I end up posting this every year, but Val Thorens (in the 3 vallees) is actually cheap as far as Western European ski holidays go.

Val Thorens, specifically hotel Le Cheval Blanc. Cheap, chearful, and on the slopes itself. If you book the right room/time of year then they include lift passes in their room costs, which simplifies things.

Best off using Jet2.com to fly to Chambéry, as this will cut down your transfer time from 4.5hrs (from the two major nearby airports of Lyon or Geneva) down to just under 2hrs. But I guess this all depends on if you have a nearby UK airport that Jet2 do the UK>Chambéry route from. Alternatives would be easyjet or similar to Geneva or Lyon, but they always seem to be more expensive.

As for transfers, you can use altibus, or get a taxi (which isn't as expensive as it sounds). Another alternative is to use taxi to Chambéry train station, then a train to Moutiérs, and then the Bus up to Val Thorens (this worked out as cheap as the direct bus from altibus.com, but was more interesting).

Renting is simple if you stay in Le Cheval Blanc, as they have an intersport shop in the lobby that are as cheap as anywhere else you will find in the resort to rent from, good selection too. You can find them on http://www.intersportrent.com, but I've never been when they have had no stock in to rent, so booking in advance isn't a necessity.

The reason I've laid it out like this is that generally I seem to save on average £100 a person over booking with a tour operator.

Hope that helps :)

We're driving over again this year and it'll work out at <£400 a head, flying budget (jet2) to Chambery would increase the cost to £500~ per head.

Caporegime
you guys only go skiing on vacaion, i pitty you. Its all about skiing after work:cool:

Couldn't imagine living more than hours or 2 from the mountains

Im just waiting for the weather to return to winter.

Don
you guys only go skiing on vacaion, i pitty you. Its all about skiing after work:cool:

Couldn't imagine living more than hours or 2 from the mountains

Im just waiting for the weather to return to winter.

Well I worked on the mountain instructing people to ski for years so I guess I had the best of both worlds :p

Back
Top Bottom