*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hate the smith with a passion, gash machine :p

Do some closegrips on a normal flat bench or just do skulls crushers. I personally love tricep rope push down on a cable machine doing dropsets x3.

25kg (6 reps) - 20kg (6 reps) - 15kg (6 reps) Repeat x3

If your arms don't burn after each set then you arn't doing it hard enough!

Soldato
Right-o lads, I'll try Deadlifts first tonight then! Hopefully I can get some floor space, as it was rammed full yesterday......! Might see if I can grab a smith machine to do some close grip presses for my triceps as well........

An oly bench + bar should do just fine. Only thing about GCBP is that when you start to fail you hit a wall very quickly. Usually with out warning for me I find so either have a spot or prepare for a battle :p

Soldato
The lack of spotter is what makes me want to do it on a smith to be honest, I'm not a very strong man and consequently wouldn't like to take the risk of dropping a 40kg bar across my neck/chest!? Granted I don't use the smith for anything else, but if you're only trying to work the triceps anyway, is there much being lost.........?

Soldato
The lack of spotter is what makes me want to do it on a smith to be honest, I'm not a very strong man and consequently wouldn't like to take the risk of dropping a 40kg bar across my neck/chest!? Granted I don't use the smith for anything else, but if you're only trying to work the triceps anyway, is there much being lost.........?

Stick with the smith in that case then. Thing with GCBP is I (from what I remember) bring it down just below my chest and as I press the bar travels further north finishing over my chest. Should you fail the bar should in theory just land on your stomach so you just need to tense your abs and scream like a girl till someone comes to save you. Grip doesn't really need to be any narrower than shoulder width as it's just unnecessary strain on the wrists otherwise.

It feels like I bring it down a bit lower than that but might well be similar. It's a horrible exercise to battle a failing rep on! Only thing about doing it on a smith is a similar thing to incline in that your shoulders might not feel great as it's not a natural range of motion.

Though getting started with it on a smith would be a good idea to practise form :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Good video there - looks like an awesome Gym as well - I would love to train there!

Smith is definitely a good starting point, but the Barbell Freeweight will give a better workout - targeting more muscles as you keep the Bar straight, balanced and maintain correct form.

Caporegime
Only thing I don't like about that video is the recommendation to use the suicide grip. I've seen someone drop 100kg on themselves because they were using that grip and the bar slipped out of their hand. I'll never forget that sight, and I'll always use the proper grip on bench.

Caporegime
Broke some ribs and chipped an elbow (clipped it on the way down).

Haven't seem him since (2 years ago) but a friend of his said he is fine now. I don't know if he is scared to come back to the gym or has moved or whatever.

Soldato
how do you know it was for him? he could have kids or it was for someone else? or maybe he was having a cheat day? or maybe he always has a chippy that day.

Indeed, there was some days that i would hit maccy d's after a heavy workout. i find that a 1/4lber meal and 5 chicken selects offer the right combination of carbs, fat and protein = lots of each! lol
ehh I just thought it was funny. I didn't mean to say chippy is the worst PWO food, just doesn't seem ideal for someone like him. I too have been to mcdonalds after a workout when I was bulking. :p

Associate
Starting today my first workout for this year!

20mins abs
Shoulder + legs 1:30mins
Sprint running 10mins 4-6 times 1min run afaic and walk for 1.5min

I decided from now on to hit the Gym direct after work, otherwise if I go home then its zzzzzzzz

Soldato
I've only recently realised that my fibre intake isn't as good as it could/should be, bought some from MyProtein that gives me around 6 grams per serving, so i'll have it with my protein shake and see how well that does for myself.

Soldato
I use suicide grip for most of my presses. Sometimes I'll use regular grip. Touch wood never had any problems. Also use it when doing raises. Don't use it for 1RM or very heavy work though.

Associate
first session back last night after about a week and a half break. legs and shoulders. struggled to walk down the stairs of the gym

today its nice to be sore again. love it

Soldato
Bet you change your mind on going straight after work within 1 week of sessions :p

I always go after work, I can't find the motivation otherwise! But then again, the gym is at the end of the road where I work..........! Going to struggle tonight though - got no fuel in my belly :( Should I get a protein shake before hand for a bit of fuel??

Caporegime
I always train immediately after work. Well, <10mins after work. Gym is practically across the road from office. If I have to be somewhere afterwork on a gym day I'll go during lunch.

I did train before work for a while, getting in the gym at 6.30am or so is nice and peaceful, but I'd be collapsing in bed with exhaustion by 9pm which was boring if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom