*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I always try to stick to 20-30 seconds, as it's supposedly better for growth hormone levels, although depending where you read, it also says longer rests are are better. But I find it also helps mentally, if I take too long, I find it too easy to get comfortable just sat there

Only time I take longer than it is when I'm heavy squatting, then I usually have to take at least a minute

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, like anything in this game, there are arguments for the black and the white things, so very contradictory.
too short would kill me though and make me lift less, thats not good in my book :D

Associate
Usually for heavy lifting on big compounds such as Squats or Deadlifts you will need at least a minute and a half.

If on the other hand you're doing some isolation work on small muscle group such as the rear delts or biceps, you can easily get away with 30 seconds.

I take 1.5-2min breaks on the big compounds, but like to abuse my calves repeteadly with heavy weights ans short breaks.

Man of Honour
I've just been at the quacks today and been told my leg problem is soft tissue so to steer clear of any exercise until it fixes itself - which is annoying in itself but to have waited an hour for nothing more than "yeah, just do nothing" is taking the mickey slightly.

As to the breaks question - I sometimes quite like supersetting for some of the less strenuous lifts so I might do preacher curls plus French press or similar. Other than that my rest periods tend to be reasonably short but whatever feels comfortable.

Soldato
Posting in epic thread! :)

First day back this year tonight, not been since the 23rd. Hitting Legs and Shoulders tonight (get in, high volume). Have got up to 12st 7 or 8lbs from 11.5 - 12st about 6 months ago. Definitely getting bigger and stronger, shoulders are coming along, biceps have decent peaks to them, and my stomach muscles are hard...... However, hard they may be, visible they aren't - I'm actually tempted to spend January cutting back down to 12st to get lean, then continue bulking for a bit.

I've got bit of a thing about getting fat, and wouldn't mind getting the abs back. Should I, or shall I keep bulking? On the one hand I'd love to get my abs back out, on the other I don't want to cripple my overall mass!

Soldato
Yesterday was my first day back in the gym for a few weeks, really have been letting myself go over the past few months in regards to how many times I go (used to be 4 or 5 days per week every week for over a year but over the past couple of months it's been anywhere from 0 - 3 times per week with no structure to the workout).

Trying to follow some HCT-12 workout for 4 weeks (pretty sure each block only runs for 4 weeks). Will see how it goes.

Caporegime
Well.. post Christmas weigh in sees that I have gained 7lbs :o

First session at Gym is tomorrow. No doubt it'll be rammed with new members and their New Year's Resolutions that'll hopefully die off within a fortnight.

Soldato
First session back today. My strength has gone to absolute **** in the year I haven't been able to train. Everything felt good once I'd cried at having to bench 62.5k decided on a 5x5 rep routine as hopefully I can add weight quickly to get back somewhere near my previous levels.

I'll be interested to see when I get my squats and deadlifts in, I dread to think what I've dropped to but it'll only be a matter of time before it's all ticking over nicely again.

Associate
I generally go when I feel recovered enough to go.

I *must* go to the gym tonight, I *will* go to the gym tonight, I *must* get to the gym tonight!!!! :o

Ditto - I'm dreading the perky first timers. Just nicely procrastinated sometime away by doing all my prep for dinner tonight - want to get there as late as possible to avoid the crush!

Soldato
Yesterday some fat guy was doing curls for like 40 minutes, he finished before me and left. On my way home from the gym I see that same guy queueing in the chip shop for his "post workout meal". :rolleyes: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom