Xbox 360 game installs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i have a question, because of my stupidity ive only just learnt that you can install games onto your hardrive....i know :mad:

my question is, what stops you installing a game onto your friends console....then he has a full game for free? or is there something that stops you? or what is the deal...because i havnt a clue to be frank

Don
i have a question, because of my stupidity ive only just learnt that you can install games onto your hardrive....i know :mad:

my question is, what stops you installing a game onto your friends console....then he has a full game for free? or is there something that stops you? or what is the deal...because i havnt a clue to be frank

You still have to insert the CD to play the game.

Soldato
OP
rite ok, so what stops you from cloning the disc ? so that your friend can put in the clone disc and use that with my install of the game

apart from it being Ilegal, i must address! ;)

Soldato
OP
If you clone the disc you don't really need to have the game installed in the first place?

I got no clue about stuff like this by the way :p

no because im trying to work out wether its possible for me to install my game onto a friends hardrive and then for him to use a clone disk so it thinks the disk is in. while im at home playing on mine.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
rite ok, so what stops you from cloning the disc ? so that your friend can put in the clone disc and use that with my install of the game

apart from it being Ilegal, i must address! ;)

Try it. You'll find that console manufactures are slightly cleverer than that... and have been since the advent of optical media in consoles. (the cracking of the Dreamcast's GD format combined with it's ability to run MIL CDs an unfortunate exception)

Soldato
no because im trying to work out wether its possible for me to install my game onto a friends hardrive and then for him to use a clone disk so it thinks the disk is in. while im at home playing on mine.

AFAIK its not possible unless you have a "tampered with" xbox. It's tantamount to piracy what your asking really...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AFAIK its not possible unless you have a "tampered with" xbox. It's tantamount to piracy what your asking really...

hense why i said above, its ilegal, just curiosity, ive just in the last 15minutes learnt how to install a game onto the hardrive nevermind anything else.

Caporegime
The discs are usually constructed in such a way that you can't clone them. Things like big gaps in the data or deliberate 'errors' which mark the disc in such a way that it's perfectly playable but can't be copied.

Associate
As far as I can remember there are a few areas at the start of the disc that cant be cloned, CD/DVD-R wont write to these areas and the security is stored there.

It isn't always a good idea to install games anyway, Halo 3 actually loses performance becasue it normally uses the HDD as cache.

Caporegime
What I don't understand is if a disc is just a series of digital data in the physical form of pits and peaks.. i.e. 0's and 1's. When you clone a disc why is it not identical? i.e. all the errors and copy protection is duplicated as well.

You clone the data, not the errors. Even a bit for bit copy struggles to copy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom