Law relating to holding MP3 devices in car

Soldato
As title, do the same laws apply for holding or changing tracks on mp3 devices, as they do with mobile phones?

Something I was wondering as there's plenty of FM transmitters and ipod cradles/docks on the market for cars. I use an ipod in my car and have to manually change tracks through the interface.

:)

Soldato
They can do you for it if they choose to, just like they can if you're eating a mars bar or fiddling with your head unit or going through a map.

There's no specific law for it.

Capodecina
Soldato
You can be prosecuted for eating? :o That's a memo I must've missed!
The memo came out in September 2007 ;)

Motorists could be breaking the law if they’re caught smoking at the wheel according to a new rule in the updated Highway Code.
If a motorist is caught driving inappropriately while smoking, they may be breaking the law. Police have the power to charge motorists with between three and nine penalty points, a fine of up to £2,500 or even a driving ban.
Other activities classed as distractions include reading maps, playing loud music, changing CDs, arguing with passengers, eating and drinking.

The new rule has been placed into the General Advice section of the updated Highway Code, which states that “safe driving and riding needs concentration.” (AutoTrader)

I believe that there was a case not so very long ago of a woman being prosecuted for eating some confectionery bar - whilst stationery at red traffic lights.

Commissario
It's always been an option - iirc it used to be "not in a position to control" or something similar as the lowest option, right up to dangerous driving depending on the circumstances.

I think it just got clarified in 2007/updated along with the introduction of points for the phone use (as mobiles were originally covered under the general rule before they became a big enough/common enough problem to get their own specific rule)

Soldato
There is a specific law for hand held phones, but you could be charged with careless driving for holding holding anything in your hand if a copper believes it's negatively affecting your driving.

Associate
My understanding was that you could get pulled for doing anything with your hands that doesn't involve the steering wheel or the gearstick.

I believe that there was a case not so very long ago of a woman being prosecuted for eating some confectionery bar - whilst stationery at red traffic lights.

I'm not surprised. Most coppers would pull over a pencil at the wheel of a car, eating sweets or otherwise.

Soldato
OP
Holding mp3 players and playing loud music I can completely understand but holding a chocolate bar? My driving instructor had me sitting eating twix's and mars bars at the wheel during my 6 hour pass plus! Infact, I've driven past police cars holding apples or bananas before. Quite scary to think they could've prosecuted me for it.

Associate
Surely changing channels on an iPod is no different to me reaching across and changing stations on the radio? And I'm pretty sure that's not illegal.

My understanding was that you could get pulled for doing anything with your hands that doesn't involve the steering wheel or the gearstick.

So when it goes dark, I have to pull over and turn the lights on and then continue? What about when I get cold and have to turn the heating on? Or when it's hot, or when I have to turn the rear demister on or.....

Capodecina
Soldato
Surely this should only apply if it makes you drive like a spacker.
I'm sure that it does. Certainly, the Police don't seem to be that all that concerned about people using a mobile 'phone whilst driving so I doubt that they care that much about people eating a Twix :mad:

Playing loud music is a different matter and should be punished by having all the speakers and associated audio equipment violently ripped out of the car.

Man of Honour
Surely changing channels on an iPod is no different to me reaching across and changing stations on the radio? And I'm pretty sure that's not illegal.

It can be if you don't pay attention to the road.

Loud music is like music, only louder. HTH.

Load music isn't in itself an offence. It could be classified under s59 Police Reform Act, but it must be included with careless or inconsiderate driving.

Soldato
A friend in the lakes pulled into a side road and parked to answer the phone, done for driving on the phone because he should also have turned off the engine, removed the key from the ignition, got out the car, sprinted at least 250m away from the car...

Back
Top Bottom