He can't say I didn't warn him...

Soldato
I also thought the the ones in the headphone socket and dock connector were just general indicators and to truely tell water damage they had to open it up and check internal ones?

Not 100% sure but think they have internal ones

Soldato
Not noticed these irritations myself, why not see if THIS helps. :D

It's personal preference though! You might prefer the way Windows works, but someone else may prefer the way OS X works. It's nothing to do with the OS being better or not.

Going back to my comment above where I said I buy a Mac for the OS, it's for the exact same reason. I think W7 is great I really do, but I just prefer the way things are done in OS X.

Associate
I also thought the the ones in the headphone socket and dock connector were just general indicators and to truely tell water damage they had to open it up and check internal ones?

Not 100% sure but think they have internal ones

Yeah that's true, it was a feature on Watchdog once. If a "Genius" (I absolutely hate that name) tells you it has water damage just by looking at the external water sensitive indicators, you can tell them that they have to open the thing up to be certain as there are indicators internally.

Associate
You get good and bad customer service experiences for every company. How you are treated can be dependent on a whole bunch of factors.

This is my view on every company. For me, unless a company has a known history of shocking customer service, it ranks so far down my list of priorities when choosing a product, it may as well not even be on there.

People who use Apple's good customer service as a way of justifying the extra cost of the product are generally clutching at straws. Build quality I understand, customer service, not really.

Associate
Intel processors. Intel chipsets. Nvidia or AMD graphics. Foxconn produce the PCBs and the gubbins fitted to those. Samsung flash storage in Airs, maybe Hitachi or whoever is supplying the HDDs in everything else. The underlying hardware is no different from any other computer. Only the chassis, fit and finish is custom.

Apple is a business and profits are all that matter. Sure there will be quality standards they have to match or surpass. But whoever got the production gig (usually Foxconn, older Apple used Asus) did so by providing the lowest cost production quote to a standard that Apple was happy with.

Let's not kid ourselves that the internals of an Apple product are made from rainbows, wishes and magic. No matter how much Steve Jobs might proclaim parts of their range are.
If the hardware is no different why is the Air the thinnest computer around? :p The casing, the screen on the Air (1366x768 on an 11" screen), glass trackpad (which I think some companies are copying now), multi-touch (scrolling webpages is so smooth I hate going back to Windows even for that!

Quite, but profits are made in different ways - customer service and providing a quality product that people are happy to buy and continue buying in the future is part of that.
Not noticed these irritations myself, why not see if THIS helps. :D
Haha, I get angry quite easily sometimes when things don't go my way, more of a case of persistent irritance getting my wick. The OS is just smooth, like two finger scrolling, four-fingers to move everything out of the way, tidy installs and uninstalls (using the one icon for a program and unified uninstallations), the dock (can't stand the Start Menu). I know you can turn them off but it's a case of changing so many things in Windows to get it working in a way that isn't obtrusive, the alerts that black out the whole screen and pop up with a Yes or No for allowing a program to make changes is jarring.

Associate
This is my view on every company. For me, unless a company has a known history of shocking customer service, it ranks so far down my list of priorities when choosing a product, it may as well not even be on there.

People who use Apple's good customer service as a way of justifying the extra cost of the product are generally clutching at straws. Build quality I understand, customer service, not really.
Considering the arsing around I had with Acer and a couple of other computer companies in trying to get a computer that'd work, I'm glad that if I ever have an issue with an Apple product (which I needed for a white iMac with the DVD drive) it won't be with someone that only understands a script over the phone - they have stores with departments for any problems you have which most computer companies don't. You can walk to your nearest one and get your problem seen to there and then, no waiting for weeks on end sending your computer in the post.

Associate
Considering the arsing around I had with Acer and a couple of other computer companies in trying to get a computer that'd work, I'm glad that if I ever have an issue with an Apple product (which I needed for a white iMac with the DVD drive) it won't be with someone that only understands a script over the phone - they have stores with departments for any problems you have which most computer companies don't. You can walk to your nearest one and get your problem seen to there and then, no waiting for weeks on end sending your computer in the post.

Unless you live miles from an Apple Store, in which case its not quite so simple. I'm in Southend, nearest stores are Bluewater/London, which would mean at least a 2 hour round trip.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh heck! and there's me been running W7 on my 6 year old Dell Laptop with 1.25gig of RAM and full Aero for the last year. What's even worse all the programs are running fine too. Should I stop using it? :rolleyes:

Where do some of you guys get your info from?

Win7 64bit Ultimate, AMD XP4400+, 2GB DDR, X1950XTX, WD Raptor 36GB.
Result - works fine, even with aero gaming (although only DX9.0c X1950XTX :D).

Win7 32bit Home Premium, 2GB VM inside Parallels 6 on a 2.66GHz C2D, 8GB DDR3, nVidia ION chipset (using main ram for video ram), 300GB 5,400rpm HD.
Result - works fine, although I disable aero as the video performance with no real separate graphics card is.. well poo. Can play games but not advisable but for normal non-powerhungry desktop apps it's fine.

Permabanned
If the hardware is no different why is the Air the thinnest computer around? :p

Because the fit and finish is custom. Like I said. They've underclocked generic Intel CPUs so they don't produce as much heat and reduced the size of the cooling system. There's also no optical drive, which allows them to spread components out thinner on the PCBs. It's still all Foxconn made PCBs and Intel and NVIDIA chips.

The casing

Fit and finish...

the screen on the Air (1366x768 on an 11" screen)

Is a run of the mill screen that was available in other branded laptops prior to Apple starting to use them.

glass trackpad (which I think some companies are copying now), multi-touch (scrolling webpages is so smooth I hate going back to Windows even for that!

Is nothing more than a trackpad that supports multi touch, which hasn't been unique to Apple for years. The only thing that stands the trackpad out against the rest is the software. I absolutely hate having to go back and use Windows laptops because of the trackpad. Not because the trackpad is bad, but because the software is. Even with multi touch and gestures, they don't feel as good as OS X.

Quite, but profits are made in different ways - customer service and providing a quality product that people are happy to buy and continue buying in the future is part of that.

Good CS just keeps you putting money in their pocket. They've made their profit the minute you charge a new MBP or iMac to your card. And no hardware break down yet has found Apple to be losing money on any product they sell (which is the case with say Sony and the PS3).

Associate
Yeah I guess im hoping they take us by surprise, you are probably right tho.

Do love the apple rumourmill.

Soldato
And on the other hand, I bought a brand spanking new macbook pro this year and its working most excellently ta.

Don't say i didn't warn you.

That might have been a valid reason prior to W7 being released but not any longer. I run a Mac and a W7 PC and I don't consider there's a Rizla between the two OS's.

Expose and spaces?

Associate
Unless you live miles from an Apple Store, in which case its not quite so simple. I'm in Southend, nearest stores are Bluewater/London, which would mean at least a 2 hour round trip.
But you have that option, with other manufacturers you don't.
Because the fit and finish is custom. Like I said. They've underclocked generic Intel CPUs so they don't produce as much heat and reduced the size of the cooling system. There's also no optical drive, which allows them to spread components out thinner on the PCBs. It's still all Foxconn made PCBs and Intel and NVIDIA chips.
There are other options from companies like Sony and Samsung and they're not as thin or slick.[/quote]
Is a run of the mill screen that was available in other branded laptops prior to Apple starting to use them.
Which laptops used the 11" 1366x768 screen?
Good CS just keeps you putting money in their pocket. They've made their profit the minute you charge a new MBP or iMac to your card. And no hardware break down yet has found Apple to be losing money on any product they sell (which is the case with say Sony and the PS3).
You say it like me paying for a good product and good service is a bad thing. They made no profit out of me, my computer was second hand (£600 from here, 11" 128GB).

Soldato

Yes but seriously and I mean seriously I have been using computers for just over twenty years now and I'm still waiting to experience these alleged problems. I have some computer hardware that the science museum would pay good money for and even that still works. :eek: The only product I have ever had to return as faulty was......... an Apple product, gospel truth. In fairness I've never bought true budget stuff e.g. Acer, however, I've never paid top dollar either.

Permabanned
There are other options from companies like Sony and Samsung and they're not as thin or slick.

What is your point? What does it matter how thin they are? It's still the same hardware underneath. Which is what I've been saying. There is nothing special about the underlying hardware in Apple products.

Which laptops used the 11" 1366x768 screen?

Lenovo U110, Asus U2E, Sony Vaio TZ series, take your pick. Apple only threw in the 11" panel at that resolution in 2010. Prior to that (there was no 11" and) they were using a 13.3" panel @ 1280x800 like the majority of mid priced laptops. So the original MacBook Air was possibly the most ridiculously over priced product in Apples range until the release of the 11" with a panel at 1366x768, made a much more sensible and wallet friendly purchase.

You say it like me paying for a good product and good service is a bad thing. They made no profit out of me, my computer was second hand (£600 from here, 11" 128GB).

No I'm not. I'm saying that the belief that Apple hardware is in someway more "special", "magical" or "superior" to the same hardware when it is used in other products that do not carry the Apple logo, is blind fanboyism and simply retarded.

Hardware is hardware is hardware.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom