Xcom: UFO Defense (UFO: Enemy Unknown)...

Soldato
Started a new game on Steam last night.

Forgot how absolutely BRUTAL this game is in terms of difficulty. How I managed to stick with this for literally hours a day as a kid without smashing the place up I'll never know. Maybe that's why I have the patience of a zen master as an adult.

Played for a while, researched all the wrong things and got owned in a base assault. Now, I've researched laser weapons, got some personal armour rockin' on my soldiers and all set to kick some alien ass.

Christ, I love this game.

Soldato
Started a new game on superhuman, and haha the first terror site at end of first month... I don't think it's possible to do it without multiple reloads (and I'm avoiding reloads).

A couple of laser rifles and HE auto cannons and well 'Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!'

:p

Soldato
I see someone above me has already offered most of the "cheats" (personnel and aircraft transfer bugs, etc), so I'll just offer some tips:

1. Don't build a second base too soon. As long as your base is in a decent area (the guide suggests somewhere like central USA to cover your biggest sponsor, I prefer building it somewhere like Switzerland to cover all the Europeans) you can get away with a single base provided you immediately build a large radar centre, which brings me to my next point.

2. Radars only have a 5% chance of detection every few minutes. This means you shouldn't dismantle your small radar just because you've built a large one.

3. If you attack a UFO with sectoids in it (they look like the "greys" from films/games/etc) try to capture some alive. They're a common early race and crucially, capturing the ship's navigator and interrogating him will let you build the hyperwave decoder - this building has a 100% chance of detection and will even tell you what mission/race/destination an alien craft has.

4. Your own aircraft carry radars (with much smaller range, of course). If you lose sight of an alien craft tell your interceptor to continue on the same bearing - occasionally you get contact back.

5. Check the graphs! A very useful one is the one that details UFO activity on a per-country basis. If there is a spike of activity in a certain country it could imply there is an alien base. To detect alien bases, get a skyranger (because they have lots of fuel) and tell it to patrol to a random spot in the country. After a little while (not very long, its not like you have to spend all of your fuel sat in the same spot or anything ;)) if there is a base nearby it will show up as a pink square on the map. Smash it for lots of points! When you get the hyperwave decoder and you detect supply ships on 'Alien Base' missions, it's time to send the skyranger near the ships destination to see if you can spot a base.

It is sometimes worth letting the base be. Supply ships will come down every week or two and if you can reliably shoot them down you can get a LOT of resources from a raid of supply ship crash sites. Do watch out though, after a while the alien race in question will start retaliation missions - they will try to find your base and mount a raid on it.

6. Aliens occasionally send infiltration missions. These are particularly annoying, and consist of three UFOs: two very large (battleships, do not try to shoot them down) and one large ship (I can't remember the type). The battleships will land in two cities in their target country. You must either shoot all three craft down or shoot the large one down and assault both battleships on the ground - good luck :p

7. If you lose sponsors, this isn't the end of the world. Most of your money will be made from selling all this alien loot you've been stockpiling, and making some of your own cool stuff to sell! Items which cost less to make than to sell (and which can be built relatively quickly) include the laser cannon (for aircraft) and the motion tracker, in descending order. If your engineers aren't busy, tell them to build as many cannons (or trackers if you can't get cannons) as they can and sell them off immediately.

Good alien items to sell include:
- Mind probe (you only really need one, and they sell for a lot of money)
- Alien corpses (you only need one, and then you don't need it when you've researched it)
- Plasma pistols/rifles: I much prefer the heavy plasma, which is almost as accurate, not particularly 'heavy' (even little sectoids can carry one!) and incredibly powerful, you will get a LOT of money selling off a dozen rifles and pistols after every other mission when you see aliens in bigger numbers
- Alien entertainment/other 'miscellaneous' research objects.

You want to research ASAP:
- Laser rifles, and then equip everybody with one. They're light, don't use many TUs, quite powerful and have infinite ammunition
- Small launchers/stun bombs (you need to capture some aliens, and this is the safest and fastest way to do it)
- Heavy plasma/Plasma cannon for soldiers/aircraft: with a plasma cannon on aircraft you have a higher range than every UFO except for the battleship. This means you can just set to 'standoff attack' when you intercept every single time and never take damage! Can also be done with avalanche rockets, but this won't work every time.

This game is huge, but I better stop before I end up writing a strategy guide in the thread :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Your wish is my command, and I'd forgotten to mention a question earlier :p

Re: Terror missions. Never, ever, ever ignore a terror mission. The penalty in points is huge and you WILL get reduced funding from the victim country. If you are woefully unequipped for a terror mission (and you might be in the early game) it is much, much better to go on the mission and then abort mission on the first turn. You'll lose 30 points for every civilian which was on the map, usually for a total of about 400. This is nothing compared to the massive penalty you get for ignoring the raid.

Remember also, Terror missions have a very small window of opportunity (unlike downed UFOs which can stay on the map for days, terror missions disappear after a matter of hours). If the mission is so far away that by the time the skyranger gets there it is dark, try this:

- First, save the game.
- Second, send an interceptor to the spot
- If necessary, when the interceptor runs out of fuel, send another
- Then send the skyranger

The thing here is that terror missions never disappear if a craft is en route to the spot :D Use this to buy yourself a few hours so that you can make sure your mission will be in broad daylight.

Soldato
Jesus just looked on steam i had x-com a week and played 78 hours burn out a bit.

Yep, I only noticed the other day that I'd clocked about 10 hours in a week or so! :eek:

Last time I did that without actually "feeling" the time would have been about 12 hours on Killing Floor at Christmas.

Soldato
Killerkebab

Excellent advice.

Terror missions are horrible, they scare me more than attacking an alien base :p

The "bail out" advice for Terror missions is invaluable. I hate them. HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! My squad invariably get their damn stupid asses handed to them. Now that Chrysalids have shown up in my playthrough, "rape" would be an understatement.

Even in Power Suits they're getting creamed.

Now I just land, send one guy out to check out the nearest enemy type (he usually steps out, looks, and get shot), then dust off!

Don
:)

Typically, 'Carlos' jumps out of the ship, then some git with a blaster launcher will try and shoot him, miss and take out everyone onboard the ship :D

Cue, formatting PC in anger

Soldato
:)

Typically, 'Carlos' jumps out of the ship, then some git with a blaster launcher will try and shoot him, miss and take out everyone onboard the ship :D

Cue, formatting PC in anger

Mine recently have been super-ultra-mega-rage inducing.

Usually one of the females with a Nordic name (can't remember off the top of my head, now) will panic and drop her gun before rotating on the spot until all TUs are spent. Meanwhile, someone else still on the ship will get mind controlled. The person next to them will see this and go berserk. Of course, rather than kill the alien puppet, they'll pump heavy plasma rounds into the backs of everyone in front of them.

Try to get anyone off the ship and they'll be taken out by reflex auto-shots by waiting Mutons. That's if an alien grenade doesn't suddenly appear from nowhere and give them all a quick and merciful death.

Finally, Mr. Mind Control on the ship will do a Jamal and let off a rocket in everyone's faces.

Fin.

RAGE.

Associate
I am not a big fan of saving / reloading tactical missions, I prefer to just accept the results, good or bad. Mostly bad in my case lol

You sir, are an incredibly brave man. Some of those missions (terror in particular) can go FUBAR at the drop of the hat and often at no fault of the player. You don't have enough control over the outcome to leave it entirely up to chance. The pure rage of watching rookies burn through their action points missing snapshots at an alien 3 feet away still makes me shudder.

Oh and those nightmarish black things that turn your troops into aliens? God they were absolutely horrific to face.

Soldato
I've often been tempted to try playing through an entire campaign without saving during tactical missions, but I was never able to do it when it came down to it, just too painful when your squad got wiped because the dropship door opened right onto a terror saucer :)

Soldato
Other extremely useful tip!

You can change the name of your troops by clicking on the name in the soldier screen. It made sending them into the line of fire a bit more bearable when they're named after people you work with and don't like :D

Don
Other extremely useful tip!

You can change the name of your troops by clicking on the name in the soldier screen. It made sending them into the line of fire a bit more bearable when they're named after people you work with and don't like :D

Aha, I do the opposite

I name them after sheep dogs and cats that my parents have, this makes me care for them more :D

Now, I tend to have 6 flying armoured troops on board that I use for every mission. With 4 backup guys that never leave the ship.

2x rocket tanks for blasting holes in walls etc. Mini squad all working together means they get promoted quicker

Soldato
Aha, I do the opposite

I name them after sheep dogs and cats that my parents have, this makes me care for them more :D

Now, I tend to have 6 flying armoured troops on board that I use for every mission. With 4 backup guys that never leave the ship.

2x rocket tanks for blasting holes in walls etc. Mini squad all working together means they get promoted quicker

What's been driving me mad recently is how quickly my tanks are downed. Literally, 2 shots from an alien's weapon and the bloody tank explodes before I've even moved it far enough away from the ship to risk levelling some buildings. :(

Caporegime
Mine recently have been super-ultra-mega-rage inducing.

Usually one of the females with a Nordic name (can't remember off the top of my head, now) will panic and drop her gun before rotating on the spot until all TUs are spent. Meanwhile, someone else still on the ship will get mind controlled. The person next to them will see this and go berserk. Of course, rather than kill the alien puppet, they'll pump heavy plasma rounds into the backs of everyone in front of them.

Try to get anyone off the ship and they'll be taken out by reflex auto-shots by waiting Mutons. That's if an alien grenade doesn't suddenly appear from nowhere and give them all a quick and merciful death.

Finally, Mr. Mind Control on the ship will do a Jamal and let off a rocket in everyone's faces.

Fin.

RAGE.

Mutons don't have mind control ability ;) That's only for sectoids and the very late-game race who I won't spoil for those who've never played it.

Also, UFO is easy peasy lemon squeezy compared to Terror From the Deep (Xcom2).

Back
Top Bottom