Xcom: UFO Defense (UFO: Enemy Unknown)...

Soldato
Mutons don't have mind control ability ;) That's only for sectoids and the very late-game race who I won't spoil for those who've never played it.

Also, UFO is easy peasy lemon squeezy compared to Terror From the Deep (Xcom2).

I didn't mean the muton mind-controlled them. Rather, a waiting muton would take people out with auto-shot reactions, meanwhile some unknown starts mind-blasting them from within the fog. Infuriating.

On occasions where that happens it's recently been the grey-coloured walker things and the dudes in cloaks. Plus whatever else I haven't actually gotten to see because my team are too busy either wetting themselves or killing eachother. :D

Caporegime
I didn't mean the muton mind-controlled them. Rather, a waiting muton would take people out with auto-shot reactions, meanwhile some unknown starts mind-blasting them from within the fog. Infuriating.

On occasions where that happens it's recently been the grey-coloured walker things and the dudes in cloaks. Plus whatever else I haven't actually gotten to see because my team are too busy either wetting themselves or killing eachother. :D

Mutons and Ethereals don't operate together... it's either one or the other.

TFTD introduced "mixed race" missions, but UFO does not feature this.

Ah wait, the walker things? They're not Mutons... they're Sectopods. Nasty!

Associate
I'd highly recommend getting UFO: The Two Sides.

http://ufotts.ninex.info/

It's a fan enhancement of the original and uses the original game files. The AI has been re-written and there are streamlining features like soldiers remembering previous mission equip choices.

It also allows multiplayer and playing the campaign as the aliens.

EDIT - Oh, and it works with the Steam version!

Soldato
What's been driving me mad recently is how quickly my tanks are downed. Literally, 2 shots from an alien's weapon and the bloody tank explodes before I've even moved it far enough away from the ship to risk levelling some buildings.
Tanks are useful in the early game, not so much later. Your average recruit has 60TUs. In the early game, it makes sense to use a tank as a scout - they're plasma magnets and relatively decent shots. Later on, some of your more impressive soldiers will boast 70, 80, 90 (maybe even more) TUs, pinpoint accuracy, and with extra abilities such as mind control - it becomes clear that 4 (hell, sometimes maybe even just one) of these dudes is always better than one tank, even if it is a hovertank :)

Mini squad all working together means they get promoted quicker
If you care about your soldier's ranks, you should hire more guys. If like me you decided to stick with your 8 starting soldiers, then they won't get promoted much past Sergeant. A commander (top rank) will only appear if there are 32 (might be wrong on the exact numbers) men in total to command, for instance. The game won't just promote your guys for doing well, they must also have some people below them to command :p
Also remember that your Lieutenants, Captains, Commanders and other officers will increase the moral of soldiers by their very presence... on the flipside, these rookies will be absolutely devastated if 'Colonel Carlos' were to get a plasma round in the back of the head ;)

Try to get anyone off the ship and they'll be taken out by reflex auto-shots by waiting Mutons
.Re: alien races -
Sectoids and Ethereals are the only races which can mind control your soldiers - it also means they're the races you're going to need live specimens of (to interrogate) in order to unlock the relevant research so you can do your own mind tricks, so good luck!
Sectoids go on terror missions with cyberdisks, which violently explode when destroyed. You can use this to your advantage. Shoot the discs first, especially if they're in a petrol station = KABOOM
Ethereals go with some huge robots which somewhat remind me of mechwarrior. These guys are tough to kill, but a tip - take a laser rifle with you if you know you're up against Ethereals on an alien base raid/terror mission. Whilst the robots soak up plasma, laser fire screws them up and kills them faster despite not being as powerful. Ethereals, on the other hand, are frail - however their mind control is even better than the sectoids.
Floaters (and their terror dogs) are pitiful. A mission against these guys is a good rest.
Mutons are ludicrously well armoured. Heavy plasmas mandatory if you want to punch through their armoured skin.
The "bail out" advice for Terror missions is invaluable. I hate them. HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! My squad invariably get their damn stupid asses handed to them. Now that Chrysalids have shown up in my playthrough, "rape" would be an understatement.

Even in Power Suits they're getting creamed.

Now I just land, send one guy out to check out the nearest enemy type (he usually steps out, looks, and get shot), then dust off!
Snakemen are rubbish, but their terror buddies (Chryssalids) are scary. These guys have 120TUs (sometimes more!) so they run around for AGES and you'll all be familiar with their one-hit-kill-and-zombify attack, which they love to do to civilians to make your job that much harder. Shoot immediately!
You'll notice when you shoot a zombie he just turns into another of them bloody things. My advice is to only open fire on a zombie when you are SURE that you can kill the Chryssalid that will pop out. The zombies don't have 120TUs, so make sure you can get a kill before you turn him into something even more terrifying :p

On a side note, you've finally done it. I'm now reinstalling this! :D

Associate
I wouldn't get Terror of the Deep. Who ever designed the game was having a joke when it came to the difficulty level. The crab things can withstand about ten hits with the early useless weapons and come out unscratched.

Soldato
I wouldn't get Terror of the Deep. Who ever designed the game was having a joke when it came to the difficulty level. The crab things can withstand about ten hits with the early useless weapons and come out unscratched.

But they were ridiculously weak to one of the grenades iirc. It wasn't hard, it just required a bit of thought and experimentation.

Associate
OP
Just encountered my first cyber disk on a terror mission...

Soldier 1 discovers it, out of TUs
Soldier 2 with a laser pistol auto shots it a few times, out of TUs
Soldier 3 with a heavy laser (oh yeah) shoots it....

The damn thing explodes and kills everyone!!!!

Haha what a crack up! Totally wasn't expecting it.

On another note, I tried that UFO: The Two Sides and whilst it is pretty good they seem to have changed the game somewhat...ie no mission to Cydonia, you just need to find the Alien base on earth and destroy it to win.

I appreciate the game is for multiplayer though.

Another project I have stumbled across is called xenonauts, heres hoping it is decent!!!

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Edit: If only i had read killerkebabs post before playing the mission lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
But they were ridiculously weak to one of the grenades iirc. It wasn't hard, it just required a bit of thought and experimentation.

Not grenades, the melee weapons. One of the reasons I like TFTD is that you have melee combat for the fist time in the series.

However it is true that TFTD's difficulty is a bit ... harsh at times.

Permabanned
I liked the difficulty. Two level missions, especially the cruise ship missions were awesome. Except when you had to spend 30 minutes searching for the last alien who's panicked in a cabin somewhere.

Alien bases are harsh and a pain in the ass to get rid off. Two levels of Lobster Men, Tasoths and lots and lots of Tentaculats :(

I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first.

Soldato
The melee weapons were awesome in TFTD but there were some bugs in the research tree meaning if you didn't do things in a set order you could be screwed :(
And sometimes getting a live Deep One was near impossible if you didn't get one early on.

I also had both games on PSX with the PSX mouse :p UFO Defense on PSX had the option of opening doors with a right click (like in TFTD). Cheats!

Though you can do that with Seb's UFO extender. Follow the instructions here to set it up and make sure to edit the UFO extender.ini to enable some of the bug fixes (and mods if that's your thing). The windowed D3D mode is highly recommended!

More info on the mod and the different features it has can be found on the UFOpaedia page here

Associate
OP
Has anyone here managed to get both XcomUtil and UFO Extender working together?

If so, I would really appreciate an idiots step by step guide...

The guide on steams xcom forums does not seem to work for me.

I currently have xcomutil working fine, but there seems to be some nice additions with UFO extender too, such as the MP3 music etc.

Soldato
UFO and TFTD have to be my favoriteeest games of all time, well its them of MOO2.

So tempted to buy the steam version and give extender a go, pity it wont work on the old dos version :(

Don
You'll notice when you shoot a zombie he just turns into another of them bloody things. My advice is to only open fire on a zombie when you are SURE that you can kill the Chryssalid that will pop out. The zombies don't have 120TUs, so make sure you can get a kill before you turn him into something even more terrifying :p

If you kill the zombie with a flame/fire based weapon, the chryssalid will not hatch :)

I always like to keep an auto gun handy for this

Back
Top Bottom