Poll: DELETED_74993

Capital Punishment - your views

• Keep the ban on CP

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • Bring back CP

Votes: 120 41.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
The MoD is busy making professional soldiers redundant. Why would they want conscripts on their books?

Anyway, it's amusing that the much-hyped death penalty petition is currently some way behind one calling for the retention of the ban on capital punishment.

National Service doesn't have to be in the military. In Finland you can do nursing, ambulance service, charity work, etc. Same in Germany, and doubtless other countries with national service.

Soldato
*checks in to thread*

*confirms all hope for humanity is lost and that despite our Knowledge led societal focus we might as well just be burning witches at the stake for all the idiots about*

*goes back to life*

Soldato
But unfortunately doesn't address the more important issues of why they offended in the first place, nor does it offer a chance for them to pay back to society what they have taken/not contributed.

Might sound odd, but why would one want to find out why a pedophile raped and tortured and murdered a child?
Or why a man becomes a serial killer of women?

I don't think they'll pay much back to society, except further rapes and murders. My taxes pay for his rights, his education, his parole hearing. I don't see why he offended as the 'more important issue'. I don't care why he did it, if he did it knowingly, willingly and deliberately.
I'd simply rather he was hung, so I never had to hear about him, or from him again. The future victims of released paedophiles and rapists would probably agree.

Not only that but allowing the state to execute people is possibly the start of a very dangerous road, considering how the state's penchant for slowly eroding civil liberties, or at least attempting it.

Personally I think the eroding of liberties was labour trying to regulate common sence, as the scum of society don't appear to have any. Its virtually impossible to regulate and all that was created was money wasting civil service jobs and posts. The death sentence is quite separate from such events.

Caporegime
Might sound odd, but why would one want to find out why a pedophile raped and tortured and murdered a child?

I don't think they'll pay much back to society, except further rapes and murders. My taxes pay for his rights, his education, his parole hearing. I don't see why he offended as the 'more important issue'. I don't care why he did it, if he did it knowingly, willingly and deliberately.
I'd simply rather he was hung, so I never had to hear about him, or from him again. The future victims of released paedophiles and rapists would probably agree.

Because we can't improve society if we don't know the reason for its ills.

Associate
I'm torn..

FOR
- it would act as a (pretty damn good) discincentive
- cheaper to society

Against
- People can be rehabilitated
- The law is not always right and you cant bring people back
- Where do we draw the line regarding what gets punished. We already complain about the lack of consistency/fairness regarding sentences

Ok writing it out has made my mind up. Fully against. While I'm very tempted to implement a Sharia law style system to disincentivise would be criminals (you steal we chop off your hand, you rape we chop of your....) It's inhumane, people can change and at the end of the day we live once. Who are we to decide who lives or dies.

Soldato
Death penalty for crimes proven without any doubt. Video of you hanging out the back of a child? Caught in the act of rape? murder? spamming?

Definitely.

Soldato

Because we can't improve society if we don't know the reason for its ills.

This really.

It is very important that we understand why people do these things. If we truly consider them wrong, then we should understand why they have considered that action to be right. We can't truly tackle the cause until we know what it is. Otherwise we're just stabbing in the dark, no pun intended.

The true enemy is not the criminal, or the action, but the cause(s) of the action(s). We can't "cure" those who have done wrong, or prevent those who would do wrong without knowing that enemy.

You can't possibly know what he would pay back to society. And if you don't try, you'll never know. It's a pretty bold statement to say that if someone kills or rapes, that all they're good for is killing and raping. Your taxes contribute, yes, so?
There's also the issue of determining what crime is punishable by death.

It's almost like you're afraid of addressing the issue, or that you don't care. You'd rather it all just be done quietly behind closed doors. That's a very sad mentality.

There are no 'future' victims. If they haven't committed the crime, then there's no victim. You can't simply predict that someone is going to go out and murder/rape.

Personally I think the eroding of liberties was labour trying to regulate common sence, as the scum of society don't appear to have any. Its virtually impossible to regulate and all that was created was money wasting civil service jobs and posts. The death sentence is quite separate from such events.

They shouldn't need to regulate common sense. The government has no place in doing so.

I would be very concerned about giving a state that is quite happy to remove certain, important freedoms the ability to execute, and in your case, quietly without public/open knowledge. That road is very clear. And I'm sure you'd change your tune when you're being hauled off to an execution chamber because you spoke out against governmental policy, or didn't wear the right colour clothes, or something equally benign yet considered a threat by the state.

I'm torn..

FOR
- it would act as a (pretty damn good) discincentive

But it isn't. As is consistently proven in countries with the death penalty. People continue to commit the crimes.

Soldato
Fortunately not all of us hold our morals to ransom for a bit of extra spending money.

Fair point. I find it immoral my grandparents who fought for this country get ***d in the ass by the insult that is the state pension and murders/rapists/peados etc. cost us more because there's a possibility they can change.

Permabanned
From: http://www.ccfaj.org/documents/reports/dp/official/FINAL REPORT DEATH PENALTY.pdf

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present system ($137 million per year), the present system after implementation of the reforms recommended in Part A ($232.7 million per year), a system in which significant narrowing of special circumstances has been implemented ($130 million per year), and a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty ($11.5 million).

That's a saving of over $100 million dollars if the death penalty was gotten rid of.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost

Soldato
Re: citation needed -

Give me 50k a year and I will run my own hangman service for the government.

If it's only used or crimes for which there is no defence the cost of trials/appeals will be minimal.

Ok so that the costs of the death penalty sorted.

So, prison is cheaper, right?

Permabanned
Re: citation needed -

Give me 50k a year and I will run my own hangman service for the government.

If it's only used or crimes for which there is no defence the cost of trials/appeals will be minimal.

Ok so that the costs of the death penalty sorted.

So, prison is cheaper, right?

Unsubstantiated rhetoric. Stop it.

Back
Top Bottom