Best PSU for under £35?

Soldato
Check the MM and/or make a thread in the wanted section. TX650w just went for 40 so a qualit 400-500w will likely be around 30ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you have a link to the CX430 on OcUK?
I know they used to stock it but I'm unable to find it at the moment.. :(

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there stocking it anymore. I just ordered two from elsewhere.

If they had the LEPA or even the CX430 in stock I would have ordered from here.

The Coolermaster 500W is under £35 also.

Missing a big market here I think. £40 for a PSU for basic web computers is just too much cash for people.

Soldato
£40 is a cheap power-supply to be fair. Well, mid-priced really I suppose, since you 'can' buy a psu for £20 but I wouldn't recommend it.

You say it's too much, but I've had more value out of my power supplies than I have out of any other component really, because it's not an 'interesting' item I don't ever change them because I feel like it, thus they have all seen multiple upgrades.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
£40 is a cheap power-supply to be fair. Well, mid-priced really I suppose, since you 'can' buy a psu for £20 but I wouldn't recommend it.

You say it's too much, but I've had more value out of my power supplies than I have out of any other component really, because it's not an 'interesting' item I don't ever change them because I feel like it, thus they have all seen multiple upgrades.

That's fair enough if you are into PC's and understand them. Move components across too new builds etc.

However if your a middle aged woman working in Asda that just likes to "get on facebook." Then unfortunately it is a little expensive for a quality unit. The LEPA at £25 is a really nice price for what appears to be a decent unit with a 3 year warranty to back up the claims.

P.S. I myself would spend a fortune on a PSU. Oh and I'm not a middle aged woman working in Asda... just an example.

Associate
I hit this problem when trying to spec up a PC for my dad, in most peoples minds the PSU is "the bit where the kettle lead goes". Well I guess I will see how long the "case" PSU will survive.

To be fair tho, I have had PC's running of standard "already in the case" PSUs last for years. Probably because they are not being asked to do much.

Soldato
OP
I hit this problem when trying to spec up a PC for my dad, in most peoples minds the PSU is "the bit where the kettle lead goes". Well I guess I will see how long the "case" PSU will survive.

To be fair tho, I have had PC's running of standard "already in the case" PSUs last for years. Probably because they are not being asked to do much.

I agree of course. You are indeed correct. We all know they're absolutely dire and shouldn't be used with a 580GTX and a 2600K. However, they're not that bad for Dell, HP and other OEM computers. They do last years and when they go I've never seen them take other components with them.

It's difficult trying to justify a 500W PSU for a machine that requires 250W at most and only needs one sata and one molex. Not 4 sata and 5 molex and 2 PCI-E 6+2 pins!! When all it has is onboard graphics.

There really is a hole in the market place. Quality PSU's should be made to accomodate OEM PC's. £20-£25 for a 350W Corsair. 2 Sata, 2 Molex. It's not that hard to ask surely.

The LEPA is the only one that's reasonably priced and only OcUK stock it.

Soldato
That's fair enough if you are into PC's and understand them. Move components across too new builds etc.

However if your a middle aged woman working in Asda that just likes to "get on facebook." Then unfortunately it is a little expensive for a quality unit. The LEPA at £25 is a really nice price for what appears to be a decent unit with a 3 year warranty to back up the claims.

P.S. I myself would spend a fortune on a PSU. Oh and I'm not a middle aged woman working in Asda... just an example.

Arhh I see, yes I really can't argue with that. I do sometimes forget, this being OcUK that not every question asked here is by enthusiasts or (budding enthusiasts) of enthusiasts. Meanwhile in the real world ...i.e. what you said, I can see why people may object to £40+ on a psu.

Point taken :)

Associate
if its just for general browsing, wouldn't a netbook/laptop/tablet be better? normal pcs are a bit of a waste of space these days for light usage.

Soldato
It would be better if you wanted to move it ...but otherwise no, not really, different and perfectly fine yes but better ...no.

Back
Top Bottom