Electric Cars coming in a year or two

Soldato
But don't you think as EV Market increases the grid will be updated as well.

By 2050 we have to be almost total off fossil fuels.

Sure the grid will be updated but when was the last time you saw electricity pylons get the HV cables replaced? It's a massive task, not to mention the expense, aluminium and copper prices have gone through the roof. The only real solution I can see is home generation through PV or another generating source :)

Soldato
Right googling SUVs doesn't seem a problem at all, still 8hour normal charge and as fast as 20min fast charge, 125mile range.
http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...Ypr/China-ZOTYE-Electric-SUV-JNJ6400EVL-.html

USA release soon.

Actually only has a 1kwh more than the Nissan leaf. 24kwh compare to 24kwh for the Nissan leaf.

Land rover range-e is an experimental hybrid that is going to be trailed, so the company can gather data on usage, although that's only got a 20mile range on batteries alone.

Yeah I know, I did the underfloor package on that 2 years ago ;)

If you want to see a real electric EV SUV then google the Liberty Range Rovers, or even the 97 Rav 4 with Ovonics large format NiMH (currently patent protected for use in EV's above 10Ah by Chevron!) That chinese thing will never do 200km on 25kWh.

Last edited:
Associate
This bit sounds a bit of a joke, perhaps the satnav will give you advance warning of a hill coming up :rolleyes:

quote from Ampera test driver:

Intriguingly 'Mountain' mode needs selecting 15 minutes before you get to very steep roads, because time is needed to add some additional charge in order to give extra oomph.

True but they also state that by mountain they don't mean a regular hill hehe.

Man of Honour
Oh my got it looks like a car! Now all that's left to loose is the stupid name.

That's not what it will look like. That's just a chopped up polo disguise.
Most electric cars look like cars. Both Nissan eat and chevy volt look normal. Well volt looks normal for America.

Associate
If I drive my electric car to work do you think my employer are going to be happy with me plugging it in to their electric outlets to recharge it while I'm working?

Man of Honour
If I drive my electric car to work do you think my employer are going to be happy with me plugging it in to their electric outlets to recharge it while I'm working?

There are grants and stuff to encourage businesses to install chargers. So if people did buy such cars, worth informing them that help is available.

Soldato
They are being properly pimped over here, they are even building charging stations on a route from Canada to Mexico on the I-5.

Tbh it makes perfect sense for here, there is so much potential for renewable electricity generation - for a start there are billions of acres of empty desert which are primed for solar power (things like 98% clear skies over the year).

I think there'll be some big things over the next 10 years over here, that is unless the Republicans get in and decide to shut it all down because it's not oil-based business.

Man of Honour
A lot of the investment is from oil business anyway.
They are the ones with infrastructure and the money anyway.

They know oil is dying and rather than trying to hold onto it, they are making sure their future is safe. But rather than CT of holding onto oil until the last drop and going bankrupt. They are doing it the sensible way.

Man of Honour
First charging point launched today, a drop in the ocean but a start.

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk...orway-network-of-ev-charging-points-launches/

A national network of recharging points at service stations along the UK’s motorways launched today, making it easier for electric car drivers to travel the length of the country.
Clean energy firm Ecotricity teamed up with Welcome Break motorway services to install the UK’s first ‘electric highway’ network which will enable EVs to travel from London to Edinburgh or Exeter free of charge, without the worry of running out of power.
From September, electric cars will be able to top up in just 20 minutes using one of the rapid recharge points powered by renewably generated electricity. Every point is power by Ecotricity’s 100 per cent wind and solar power electricity.

Oh and another 4000 charging points in 100 cities.
http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk...to-gain-4000-new-electric-car-charging-posts/
The UK is to gain its first privately funded network of electric vehicle (EV) recharging points, with a staggering 4,000 to be installed by the end of 2012.
Starting in September, leading EV charging infrastructure supplier Chargemaster Plc will launch its ‘Polar’ project, with charging points initially appearing in around 100 towns and cities across the UK.
It is the first time such an initiative has been privately funded and will supplement Government’s Plug-in Places initiative, which currently supports the installation of charging points in eight locations around the country; London, Milton Keynes, the North East, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Greater Manchester, the Midlands and the East of England.

Incorporates current fast charge, next generation fast charge and induction charging.
Every location will enable electric cars to use the latest Type 2 connectors providing a 7 kW fast charge. All units are three phase 21 kW ready which will enable users to charge cars, such as the new Renault Z.E. range, in about one hour in the future. In addition around 20 per cent of all Polar charging bays will be designated to incorporate ‘wireless’ charging in the future using inductive charging in conjunction with the company’s partner Halo IPT.

Oh and if any one wondered what the Renault ze range looked. Like there is A lot
KANGOO VAN Z.E. £16,990 exc. VAT + £59 battery hire per month exc. VAT
home2bq.jpg

Vehicle TypeLight commercial vehicle
Overall length 4,213 mm
Width excluding/including wing mirrors 1829 mm / 2133mm
Motor output 44 kW(70hp)
Torque 226 Nm
Top speed (electronic governor) 81 mph
Range 100 miles (NEDC combined cycle)
Number of seats :2
Unladen weight :1,410 kg
Payload 650 kg
Carrying capacity3 to 3,5 m³
Tyres Low rolling-resistance

KANGOO VAN MAXI Z.E. TWO-SEATER
KANGOO VAN MAXI Z.E. FIVE-SEATER

FLUENCE Z.E. £17,850 inc + £75 battery hire a month
iconofluencezefb3000.jpg

Vehicle type:Family saloon
Overall length:4,748 mm
Width:1,813 mm
Motor output:70 kW(95hp)
Torque:226 Nm
Top speed:84 mph
Range:115 miles (NEDC cycle)
Number of seats: 5
Gross vehicle weight :1,543 kg
Boot size:317 L
Transmission:automatic
Battery type/positioning:Lithium-ion/rear vertical

ZOE PREVIEW
zoealternatif.jpg

Vehicle type: Compact saloon
Overall length :4,086 mm
Width :1,788 mm
Height :1,540 mm
Motor output :60 kW(80hp)
Torque :222 Nm
Top speed :84 mph
Range :100 miles(NEDC Combined cycle)
Number of seats :5*
Unladen weight :1,392 kg
Wheels :19 inches

TWIZY URBAN
TWIZY TECHNIC
£7,400 inc +. £40 a month battery hire
twizytechnicalternatif.jpg

Vehicle type:Two-seater
Overall length:2337 mm
Width:1191 mm
Height:1461 mm
Maximum motor output:15 kW (20hp)
Torque:57 Nm
Top speed
Twizy :50 mph
Range :60 miles
Number of seats:2
Gross vehicle weight :450 kg (of which 100 kg battery)

They look nice, have decent top speeds and range, but frankly that battery hire is insane and would wipe out any savings to be made on fuel/tax

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you want performance and a longer range. Teslas new model is for you (if you're a millionaire )

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs
- Seating for 7
- More cargo space than typical sedans
- Premium interior styling
- 160, 230, or 300 mile range pack
- 45 minute QuickCharge
- 0-60 in 5.6 seconds
- 120 mph top speed
- Leading electric powertrain
- 17-inch touchscreen with 3G connectivity
- Amazing aerodynamics

may20112.jpg

A snip at $55-78k depending on battery pack.
Tesla is also one of the manufactures who are pushing for battery swap stations.

And another charging point project, 4000 of them by a private firm as well.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258317/
A new charging network for electric vehicles will launch in 50 towns across Britain by the end of next year.
EV charging infrastructure supplier Chargemaster will launch its ‘Polar’ project, the first privately funded charging infrastructure of its kind.
The network will have 4000 charging points, half of which will go live in the next nine months.
The first towns and cities to get the new tech will include Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, Gloucester, High Wycombe, Reading and Southampton.
The network will be accessible through an as-yet-unknown monthly membership scheme, with each use costing from 90 pence for a typical 100-mile charge.
Transport secretary Philip Hammond commented: “Today’s announcement by Chargemaster is exactly the kind of private sector-led initiative that we need to drive the development of our national network of recharging infrastructure”

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
This needs to be stopped.no one needs 100 mile rangecar that cannot guarantee to do 50 miles with 4 passengers at night in bad weather, needs four battery swaps before you can get from London to Manchester and needs dedicated driveway or guaranteed parking spot to be plugged in or you won't be going to work the next day. Except few university geeks and few MPs travelling from Kensington to Whitehall ev's are useless to anyone who actually NEEDS to drive.

It's a waste of time, valuable time in this industry. Biofuels. Work with old, work with new, can go for hundred of miles, need to be brought to cheaper levels, that's all.

Man of Honour
They really aren't usles.
Again average commute is 8.5miles.
Average driver needs just 10 battery swaps a year.

Also where you going to grow these bio fuels? Oh there's a big whole in that plan.

Also read the post above with the tesla with a 300mile range.

Soldato
The Zoe and Twizy are utterly LOL, do they commission the worlds worst car designers to do the exterior on these? :D

Acidhell, what's the deal mate, do you have shares in electric cars or something? At least I get what Jonnycoupe is trying to peddle, but I thought you were a F1 fan? Wouldn't you miss the sound of petrol engines?

Man of Honour
I just find it an interesting topic combined with energy usage, raw materials and pollution(but not co2(heavy metals, carbon particulates, real pollution) for a number of reasons and it's the future.

Sound is a tiny part. Ultimately f1 is about cutting edge technology and ultimate pace. That eventually will be electric. Superior torque curves and superior weigh distribution. Once batteries are cracked.

If I had spare money shares would be good. Although you need to guess who will win on the standards war.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well sadly I do consider myself at least a semi car enthusiast so before electric cars get me on board i'll have to see something with good range and the ability to drive it "spiritedly" and have fun without mashing the life out of the battery.

I guess that will come with time, really.

Man of Honour
Or keep a petrol car for the weekend. Tax and petrol prices will force most people out of ICE cars eventually, or severally limit usage. But that's a few decades away.

Interestingly if you go back to my older posts from several years ago, I didn't think electric cars would be viable and wouldn't catch on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of our colleagues are running a Nissan Leaf at the moment and the only range issue they've had with it is when they actually need to go further than its maximum range permits. They've not run flat anywhere, yet.

Other than that they commute in and out in it every morning and it sits on the office-installed charging point all day. No problems. Reputedly quite good fun, too!

Winter should be interesting - what with the temperature drop and increased ancillary load.

I'll find out the hard way, hehe, as we're getting one in for a month too. My commute's 55 miles one way. In the depths of winter that could be, well, interesting. Big coat and gloves, anyone? :D

Back
Top Bottom