• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY CPU IS OVERCLOCKED?

Associate
I have a brand new powerful computer, I bought the overclocked version of the i52500k oc'd to 4.6ghz.

But on windows 7 "check CPU speed" it just says, i52500k @ 3.3ghz and scores it 7.8

where can i find out more about my cpu?? what is cpu-z ??

i really appreciate any help, my technical support takes ages for a reply

thank you

Soldato
cpu-z is a program that tells you various things about your system, from the speed its running at , to the motherboard in the system and what memory is in the memory slots.

google it, download it, then run it.

Associate
cpu-z is a program that tells you various things about your system, from the speed its running at , to the motherboard in the system and what memory is in the memory slots.

You need to download it - install - then run.

As it's running you need to run a program that will make your cpu work 100% - you should then see on cpu-z the precise speed that your cpu is running at both @ idle(ish) and clocked.

Associate
even just running WEI will not cause your CPU to use 100% but will throw it up to the max speed its set to without using all cores power

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Doesn't it tell you during POST.

My Q6600 states it's a 2.4GHz CPU but clearly indicates it's running at 3.7GHz.

Use the pause/break button on your keyboard to slow down the boot process. Press Enter to resume (asuming this still works)

Associate
Same as above tbh. Download prime95 and cpu-z and run prime. cpu-z will report what your cpu is running at in the bottom left hand corner. Windows always reports standard figures for the cpu; well mine does anyway

Soldato
Windows always reports standard figures for the cpu; well mine does anyway

Slightly true. Even though my 2600K is overclocked to 4.4ghz and CPU-Z reports it correctly (see sig) Windows sees the speed as this...:

58ghz.png

The Windows Experience Index test is pants anyway.

Back
Top Bottom