Android app to put phone on silent?

Associate
I always have my phone on silent because I cannot use my phone at work. But I want a way of my phone going on silent when at work but on loud every other time.

I've heard of LLama which uses location services and seems a bit complex just for what i need, is there an app that you can just put in certain times of the day for the app to go to silent?

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh I have one major problem with Llama in that it will not register cell changes unless the phone screen is active. Sure, the time changes work great (perfect for the OP) but I can be at work all day and, unless my phone screen comes on, the phone still thinks I am at home if I have not touched my phone between leaving home and getting to work.

Kudos to the creator though as he is trying to sort this problem out.

Llama is great apart from this and would suit the OP perfectly.

Associate
OP
Meh I have one major problem with Llama in that it will not register cell changes unless the phone screen is active. Sure, the time changes work great (perfect for the OP) but I can be at work all day and, unless my phone screen comes on, the phone still thinks I am at home if I have not touched my phone between leaving home and getting to work.

Another problem i'm having with it is with the location part as i live and work in the same valley served by 1 mast on one side. So it cannot tell when i'm at home or work

i'm not sure how to sort out the timer on it but not had a sit down and looked through it yet to be fair

Soldato
I think the app I used to use was called Silent Time Lite. Worked just fine for me at uni all day and then coming home.

Caporegime
tasker is what I use, my favapp

here's how I do it

use cell signal triangulation to turn my phone to silent within 1 mile of work

also you can tell the phone to switch on GPS for 5 mins at say 825-835 when I start work, then the phone knows I'm at work within 100m and turns phone to silent then

easier but not so useful is turn phone on silent between work hours on weekdays

I also use it to turn on WiFi when I get home
silent at night time
turn mobile internet off at 20%battery
when put headphones in turn my music app on and set media volume to 9
when I launch maps turn on GPS
if I am at work and on lunch hours turn WiFi on
even more complex ,, if I am at work and I am already listening to music when I push wake up pause the music.. If someone comes in the room

the one my gf hates is type.. Pinch punch first of the month at midnight on the first of the month and send it to her lol

it is amazing

Associate
OP
tasker is what I use, my favapp

here's how I do it

use cell signal triangulation to turn my phone to silent within 1 mile of work

also you can tell the phone to switch on GPS for 5 mins at say 825-835 when I start work, then the phone knows I'm at work within 100m and turns phone to silent then

easier but not so useful is turn phone on silent between work hours on weekdays

I also use it to turn on WiFi when I get home
silent at night time
turn mobile internet off at 20%battery
when put headphones in turn my music app on and set media volume to 9
when I launch maps turn on GPS
if I am at work and on lunch hours turn WiFi on
even more complex ,, if I am at work and I am already listening to music when I push wake up pause the music.. If someone comes in the room

the one my gf hates is type.. Pinch punch first of the month at midnight on the first of the month and send it to her lol

it is amazing

hmm tasker sounds quite good. I'll give it ago and have another look at Llama as well

Thanks for everyones help

Soldato

Ditto, I have the screen on issue. Still a fantastic app

Soldato
I dont understand this thread... just slide down the notification bar and press silent/vibrate?

what happens if you stay behind for 5 mins to talk the boss and your phone rings?

edit: Oh I see, it goes by location rather than a schedule.. makes more sense.

Associate
i always forget though lol plus if i have my phone out at work i'd get walked off the premises.

we can't have them out nor use them due to the sensitive data we handle

Put phone in boot of car when arriving at work?
Put phone in locker at work?

Most sites I've been on that specify "no mobile phones" offer secure storage when you arrive on site...

Soldato
Hmm, mine changes location when the screen is off, I'm sure of it.

Check the events history to make sure but leave it till you have been in the new area for around 20 mins, check the time it actioned the event and if it matches up with the time (roughly) that you were actually there.

I travel 20 miles to work and, with the screen on, the cell ID history will pick up a dozen different cells. With the screen off from home to work it only registers my home cell and my work cell and nothing in between is recorded.

As I said, I have emailed the chap that created Llama and he has sent me a test version to try out but still the same problem. He is aware of the fault and seems to be trying to sort this problem out.

Edit: I have profiles set up to do the following:

At home between 0600 and 2200 - wifi on, profile "home"
At home between 2200 and 0600 - wifi on, profile silent with "loud" callers for specific numbers (important numbers still ring phone)

Left Home - wifi off, profile "normal"
Arrive Home - wifi on

The phone knows when I enter my local area and turns wifi on. When the phone connects to my home network, it turns it to "home" mode

At Work between 0800 and 1600 Mon-Fri - profile "discreet"
At Work all other times - profile normal (means I can go past work outside my core hours and my phone wont go discreet)
Left Work - turn profile to "normal"

When the screen is on, it works flawlessly as described here:

Mon,

0600 - phone turns from silent to "home" mode
circa 0715 - I leave home. WiFi disconnects and sets phone to "normal" mode
circa 0720 - I leave my "local area". Phone switches off WiFi
circa 0750 - I arrive "at work". No change
0800 - Phone sees I am "at work" and its also between 0800 and 1600. Phone turns to discreet
1600 - Phone switches to normal
circa 1630 - I reach my "local area" so phone switched on WiFi
circa 1635 - I enter my home. Phone connects to my LAN which triggers phone to "home" mode
2200 - phone turns to silent with a few caller exceptions which will ring.

The fact you can give it area AND time parameters works great. For example, if its 0100 in the morning then the phone would normally be on Silent. However, if I am out at the pub then it won't be Silent as I am not connected to my WiFi so the phone knows I am not at my home therefore keeps the profile on "Normal"

Just hope the cell ID problem is fixable :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Another vote for Tasker. So many different ways to set the trigger for silent that one must work. You could use time as easy as anything else. But you could do it automatically...Is there a wi-fi connection there, even if you can't connect to it? A specific cell tower? An app you always use when getting to work? So very many options.

Associate
OP
Another vote for Tasker. So many different ways to set the trigger for silent that one must work. You could use time as easy as anything else. But you could do it automatically...Is there a wi-fi connection there, even if you can't connect to it? A specific cell tower? An app you always use when getting to work? So very many options.

Llama has found another cell at my home with slightly different code, hopefully iwll work shall find out over the next day.

But if not i'll try tasker, there is secured wi-fi at my office so I can use that if not by the timer

Back
Top Bottom