Good Restaurants in Liverpool

Associate
5 mins from my house :)

If you like that place then check out http://www.mastermcgraths.co.uk/ it is infinitely better. I can't even begin to find a superlative that does Master McGraths food justice, it is just sublime and fairly priced.

Interior is nothing special but the food is just incredible.

It might just be me but I wouldn't eat anywhere that advertised a funeral menu...

Soldato
Admittedly I've not been for a while, but Master McGraths is nothing special as far as I'm concerned. It's a place my Grandparents go for a meat and 2 veg meal out. The offer of a Funeral Menu on the website kind of sets the tone.

I don't eat in the city that often, but Meat is really good. I wouldn't bother with the Alma De Cuba.

If we're talking a bit further out, Marco Pierre White at The Swan in Aughton is really good and my current favourite. On a different level, but Room 47 in Ormskirk is underrated in my opinion, it's not at all expensive and the food is always good. A bit further out still, but Bennetts Restaurant at the Wrightington Hotel and Country Club just of J27 of the M6 is really good too. Dave Whelan (Chairman of Wigan FC) is often in there.

Do you mean the Scarisbrick Hotel? Never eaten in the restaurant, but I've been to do's there and the food has always been underwhelming.

Soldato
I had a look at that and the menu is HUGE? Somehow strikes me as a bit off putting. Is the Scarisbrick any good?

The menu is huge but every dish is superb. I have had many many meals there and every one has been faultless. I have eaten in Michelin starred places and 'top' restaurants all over the world- this place is just fantastic. Good hearty British grub at its best. There is no white linen cloths, fussy servers or somelliers- just good food.

The Scarisbrick is rubbish. Just been taken over by the Britannia Hotel chain and is on a cost cutting exercise, avoid like leprosy.

It might just be me but I wouldn't eat anywhere that advertised a funeral menu...

You are missing out then mate ;). The reason why they offer a 'funeral menu' is that it is about 2 minutes from the main Crematorium for the local area and hosts a lot of wakes.

Admittedly I've not been for a while, but Master McGraths is nothing special as far as I'm concerned. It's a place my Grandparents go for a meat and 2 veg meal out. The offer of a Funeral Menu on the website kind of sets the tone.

I don't eat in the city that often, but Meat is really good. I wouldn't bother with the Alma De Cuba.

If we're talking a bit further out, Marco Pierre White at The Swan in Aughton is really good and my current favourite. On a different level, but Room 47 in Ormskirk is underrated in my opinion, it's not at all expensive and the food is always good. A bit further out still, but Bennetts Restaurant at the Wrightington Hotel and Country Club just of J27 of the M6 is really good too. Dave Whelan (Chairman of Wigan FC) is often in there.

Do you mean the Scarisbrick Hotel? Never eaten in the restaurant, but I've been to do's there and the food has always been underwhelming.

If you are passing Master McGraths, give it a try. It was taken over not so long ago by a new couple and it has shot through the roof in terms of quality. It's not haute cuisine, presentation isn't spectacular and neither is the setting; I will still be going there on my birthday as I just love their cooking. It is British dishes done correctly at a fair price.

I will have a look at Bennets one day maybe, sounds good. MPW at the Swan is nice too but I just feel if it didn't have the MPW brand attached to it, it would just be another fancy gastropub.

Back
Top Bottom