Real quick easy question

Soldato
So I put a new dvd writer in about 2-3 weeks ago, it has been fine until tonight, tried to install F1 2011 and its taking ages, so I did a read test (dumping said disc to hard drive) with IMGBurn and low and behold my read speeds are only ~5x.

Is it possible that its just a faulty sata cable rather than the whole drive being on its way out already? Another drive would make it my 3rd this year!

Edit: sigh if I manually run the game.msi file everything installs (or so it seems thus far) but I can't hear the drive spinning up at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, I'll try swapping the sata cable tomorrow and see how I get on, as for returning it, it would probably cost me as much to ship it out as an RMA as it would to just go buy a new one. Last Lite-ON drive I buy if it is a dud!

Soldato
Thanks, I'll try swapping the sata cable tomorrow and see how I get on, as for returning it, it would probably cost me as much to ship it out as an RMA as it would to just go buy a new one. Last Lite-ON drive I buy if it is a dud!

if you send the RMA to overclockers (assuming you bought it from there) they cover the shipping (well, they did for my 1 month old samsung that was eating my disks)

Soldato
OP
Nah I didn't, got it from a local store, to which I've lost the receipt. Even if they RMA it for free I would have to take time off work to change it out, heres hoping its just the cable thats shot!

Back
Top Bottom