Logitech K300 Compact Keyboard for gaming?

Soldato
I'm looking for a keyboard that's not as wide as a standard keyboard, maybe missing the arrow keys or number pad.
It will be used for when i LAN at my friend's place where the spare desk isn't very wide, a standard keyboard leaves very little room for mouse movement.

I was thinking of the Logitech K300 Compact Keyboard, it's certainly smaller than a standard keyboard but i'm not sure by how much but probably enough. I wanted to know if anybody here had used it for gaming and could give me their opinion.

Permabanned
You'll want to try searching for "tenkeyless" which is the usual name for keyboards lacking the numpad. There's a number of compact layouts, many that mimic the Apple wireless keyboard and laptop layouts but for windows. These are usually around the high 70 key count to high 80 key count. So you should try search for things like "84 key keyboard" and stuff like that.

The other option is a keyboard that moves a lot of rarely used functionality (such as F keys, home, end, up, down, insert, all that stuff) to another layer such as the FN layer (again, similar to how Apple wireless keyboard, 78-89 key keyboards and laptop keyboards keep a lot of functionality in a small form factor), such as the KBC Poker. This would be better for typing, but not so good for gaming as F keys are an important key and you don't want to be FN+F# every time you need to make a play.

The K300 is compact. But only because they've bunched everything up as close together as they can. You can definitely achieve more compact by getting rid of keys you don't really use. So you're better off looking at what keys you will mostly be using and seeing what you can sacrifice without affecting your gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You'll want to try searching for "tenkeyless" which is the usual name for keyboards lacking the numpad. There's a number of compact layouts, many that mimic the Apple wireless keyboard and laptop layouts but for windows. These are usually around the high 70 key count to high 80 key count. So you should try search for things like "84 key keyboard" and stuff like that.

The other option is a keyboard that moves a lot of rarely used functionality (such as F keys, home, end, up, down, insert, all that stuff) to another layer such as the FN layer (again, similar to how Apple wireless keyboard, 78-89 key keyboards and laptop keyboards keep a lot of functionality in a small form factor), such as the KBC Poker. This would be better for typing, but not so good for gaming as F keys are an important key and you don't want to be FN+F# every time you need to make a play.

The K300 is compact. But only because they've bunched everything up as close together as they can. You can definitely achieve more compact by getting rid of keys you don't really use. So you're better off looking at what keys you will mostly be using and seeing what you can sacrifice without affecting your gaming.

Thanks for your reply.
It's looks as though my choices are either Mechanical Tenkeyless, which i'm not going to spend that about of money on. I have set myself a budget of £40...
Or
Buy random cheap tat made by either lower tier companies or companies that you've never heard of (ie some random factory in china).

The reason i am looking the Logitech K300 is that it's made by a reputable brand so i can trust the quality will be above average.
There just doesn't seem to be any other keyboard around my budget by a wellknown brand..Strange really.

I'll keep looking though, who know, i may come across something good.

As for wireless, that's not an option. I will need it to be wired.

Soldato
I have a Logitech k300. I play games but use a Xbox Controller :( so i cant really help. I must say that it is a very nice keyboard and my typing speed etc has flown because the keys for me are perfect.

Soldato
OP
Logitech's factories are in China (and have been for many years) like any other big western company. Everything is made in random factories in China. Or Taiwan. Because it's more cost effective.

http://blog.logitech.com/2010/04/16/logitechs-response-to-report-on-chinese-labor-issues/
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200509/28/eng20050928_211444.html

I know and that's not exactly what i meant. I know how things are produced in this day and age.
I mean the keyboards that are made and sold by Chinese companies that nobody has heard of.

Permabanned
Just got one of these keyboards, was initially going to go for the K750.

But saw this in the shop for £20, decided to not be so frivolous...my what a excellent decision.

Its just great, I like a nice tactile response not something spongy and this delivers. I find I'm not having to really learn the compact layout, keys just fall where I expect them to without looking. For a compact keyboard its got a lot of keys to play with, the f keys all have shortcuts so thats useful.

I went for the white/purple because thats all they had, I quite like the aesthetics although the rest of my setup is black. But hardly a issue.

Ah, the arrow keys are a bit of a drawback, would give me a cramp probably if I had to use them a lot.

Overall, a excellent item and one I reccomend. Its not quite as tiny as other wireless keyboards but still about 3/4 the footprint of a standard keyboard. So pretty space saving.

In short get one.

Edit : That was a review for the K360, didn't read the thread title properly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom