BBC iPlayer content to TV from iMac?

Soldato
Is there an easy way of streaming BBC iPlayer (non downloaded and downloaded) content from an iMac to a large panel TV wirelessly via ATV2? I think you can do this from an iPad quite easily but not sure you can from an iMac or MBP for some unfathomable reason.

Associate
I want to do this also. For what it's worth you can't from an ipad2 either with ios4 (unless you have the hdmi cable), with ios5 you will be able to of course.

Soldato
OP
I want to do this also. For what it's worth you can't from an ipad2 either with ios4 (unless you have the hdmi cable), with ios5 you will be able to of course.

Hmm! that's interesting as I have read quite a few posts on other forums who claim they can and do run iPlayer 4OD 5OD ITV Player etc. and all wirelessly.

There does seem to be a lack of knowledge on this forum though with regards to iPad ATV2 iMac's etc. Will have to trawl elsewhere. You can of course JB ATV2 then use XBMC.

Associate
Well the native iOS apps do not allow AirPlay, so you can't do this from iOS 4 without a Hdmi cable.

From next Wednesday, you'll be able to AirPlay any content direct to apple tv over airplay so that should be an adequate solution.

Again, from the mac you can't just AirPlay any content out of the box, unless it's in iTunes pretty much. Of course there are apps out there which would allow you to either record the stream, re-encode and bung into iTunes but this would be a faff for s seemingly simple task.

Soldato
OP
Well the native iOS apps do not allow AirPlay, so you can't do this from iOS 4 without a Hdmi cable.

From next Wednesday, you'll be able to AirPlay any content direct to apple tv over airplay so that should be an adequate solution.

Again, from the mac you can't just AirPlay any content out of the box, unless it's in iTunes pretty much. Of course there are apps out there which would allow you to either record the stream, re-encode and bung into iTunes but this would be a faff for s seemingly simple task.

So again it's basically iPad only? To stream from iMac my understanding is I would have to JB ATV2 then use XMBC. Is that your understanding too?

Back
Top Bottom