Found out where the tax money goes.........

Soldato
So rather than equipping prisoners with the ability to reintegrate themselves as regular civilians into society once they leave, you'd rather see their isolation and depravity reinforced so that when they come out they **** up even harder than before?

Have you done any research into why our prison and penal system fails so hard compared to almost all of our neighbours who manage to reform most of their prisoners successfully, or why we have one of the highest reoffending rates in the world?

People are dumb, you should really put the minimal effort into posting in general threads like this.

Soldato
I apologise for being agressive and abrasive and if I came across as insulting.

The perpetual situation of society shooting itself in the foot (mainly because people are uninformed and have a cave-man attitude to it all) really riles me as you may have noticed.

I shall temper myself!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Back in late 2007 I went to HMV with one of the guards of the Juvenile Prison I was working at and she spent well over £1000 on games and music cd's.
I felt exactly how some people feel in here but when you've actually been part of knowing how the system works then you can understand a lot better.
The kids were only allowed in the play room if they had been good so it's swings & roundabouts and I thought it was money well spent.
The kids were allowed to buy their own consoles & games for their cell (well parents obviously) but once again they would be removed if naughty.
I would think it works in a similar way in an adult prison.

Soldato
>Carry out loads of white collar crimes like fraud, taking out huge loans with no intention to repay, etc
>Bury the proceeds
>Go to prison, play games consoles for a few years
>Profit

Soldato
Prisoners should be automatically entered into a chain gang, perhaps digging up deep foundations for new buildings - the harder they work, they more they get inside their cell.

So at first it seems like a blatent knee jerk flog-the-lot reaction. But they are being productive, and the more productive they are the more they are entitled to in their cell - ie: donated game consoles, games and books.

Caporegime
Hatter's being aggressive and insulting, but I agree with him. Prison isn't about vengeance.

No first and foremost, we put dangerous criminals away to keep us safe, NOT to rehabilitate them.

That should be the first mandate, you can try and reform other criminals, but the system is a joke, rehabilitation will not and does not work. The majority of those who don't reoffend....... do so because they don't want to go back inside, NOT because they are fundamentally changed people who without jail wouldn't make the same choices as before.

IE one person see's a shop keepers back turned and an open till, and doesn't even think about the possibility of stealing the guys money, another guy is already waiting for his back to turn so he CAN steal his money.

THe first guy won't ever steal, ever, its not part of his thought process. The second guy, gets caught, goes to jail and doesn't reoffend, he's not changed, he just doesn't want to face the consequences.

Jail NEEDS to be hard, and being locked up more than those in Europe, but having a tv and games console inside your cell while those locked up in some Euro country are locked up less, but have no tv, and no consoles when they are locked up....... THAT is why they reoffend less. Jail is less like normal life, and its a consequence they are less willing to put up with.

However, on the subject of the OP. Firstly if there are consoles, like parenting used to be 50 years ago when people remembered how to be parents.

Console access should be, one, HIGHLY LIMITED, two, a REWARD FOR VERY GOOD BEHAVIOUR, it should not be "standard" for everyone inside. Likewise, they are in jail ffs, buy OLD games, then buy new releases......... months later when they are cheap, etc, etc. It's simply stupid, also, in terms of real rehabilitation, where did education go.

A criminal shouldn't be spending his whole time inside playing games and laughing with his mates, they should be working, and if that is in the form of education and learning, then it should be.

Then one more thing, what happened to reading, cheap old books donated, there are millions of books, 100's of millions of books in peoples houses, sitting there, never to be read again, I want to keep plenty of my books, the rest most people just don't bother getting rid of.

Give them books, cheaper, in fact free if donated, just as entertaining, thought provoking, hell, would even cost significantly less in power usage, 1000 prisoners all using a tv/console, or 1000 people reading a book.

Soldato
What, should we lock prisoners up and deprive them of regular every day stimuli until they leave prison even more deadened to the world and society?

And playing consoles is social?

They are locked up ffs they are going to be deadened from the outside world and society regardless of console games.

You commit a crime you don't deserve the rights that law abider's get.

Why can't they have books?

Soldato
Things such as consoles and TVs are 'bought' using money earned from doing jobs around the prison such as cleaning and cooking. It's a reward for good behaviour, it's not a tool to rehabilitate them. Any bad behaviour and it's taken away and they have to earn it back again.

Soldato
No first and foremost, we put dangerous criminals away to keep us safe, NOT to rehabilitate them.
We do the former, but we should be doing the latter. Because we don't put enough money or time into the latter means we have the highest reoffending rate and the highest number of prisoners per capita in Europe.

rehabilitation will not and does not work.
Show me some evidence for this, because pretty much all evidence and every other neighbouring penal and prison system (especially in Scandinavia, known to be 'cushy') which focuses on rehabilitation shows the exact opposite to what you're saying.

Jail NEEDS to be hard, and being locked up more than those in Europe, but having a tv and games console inside your cell while those locked up in some Euro country are locked up less, but have no tv, and no consoles when they are locked up....... THAT is why they reoffend less. Jail is less like normal life, and its a consequence they are less willing to put up with.
Please provide evidence for this. Again, theory and actual results show that the more like real life jail is (and the more of a functioning community jail is), the lower the reoffending rates and the better the civilian who comes out of the penal system.

Last edited:
Caporegime

That should be the first mandate, you can try and reform other criminals, but the system is a joke, rehabilitation will not and does not work.
Wrong, despite your views on rehabilitation.

The goal of the modern penal system has always been reform, certainly in Britain. Things like the Panopticon were fairly revolutionary in the 19th century, bringing in the notion that people served time as part of their sentence helping reform, rather than awaiting deportation, corporal punishment or capital punishment.

Ever since the 18th century and things like the Howard league, the British view has turned towards reform being the primary hope and reason of incarceration.

Back
Top Bottom