Found out where the tax money goes.........

Soldato
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that there's a significant slice of the prison population that can't read or have learning difficulties.

Probably their fault! Didn't pay attention in school etc.

Or if for any other reason then fair enough however.

How about you teach them? Make them do GCSEs?

I'd much rather tax payer money was spent on educating prisoners than letting them sit on their arse all day playing CoD.

Soldato
this is absolute BS

I actually work in the prison service, and the latest consoles with network ability are a banned item, the only console they are allowed is ps2, and they have to buy it themselves, anything with wifi or ethernet is BANNED

i don't work in the prison service, i have never been in a prison, infact i can't say i've ever even seen a prison but i too, found the op a little hard to believe.
members of staff from a prison are going into game stores and purchasing games? would this happen, would they not get them delivered if this sort of thing did happen?

Associate
The Government is spending £250,000 A DAY to pay for security for the Olympic stadium / grounds etc. I think £500 on some games pales in comparison.

No doubt the prison system is ****ed up, but the games budget isn't the issue.

Soldato
The Government is spending £250,000 A DAY to pay for security for the Olympic stadium / grounds etc. I think £500 on some games pales in comparison.

yes but the 250k is an investment compared to the money people wll spend during the event to keep it safe

500 quid is about 490 too much and thats just the one prison

I'd much rather tax payer money was spent on educating prisoners than letting them sit on their arse all day playing CoD.

This tbh.

Force them to get GCSE's or learn a trade. Not like they have anything else to do.....oh wait hand on **** that they will skive of the lessons and play COD :(.

I realise not all prisoners are thick, but it is a reasonable thing to say that most won't have any qualifications at all - Getting them to have a real-world trade is the best way to integrate them into society imo.

Soldato

Should be more than adequately covered by the £840m tax bill from the olympic construction etc. then.

Meanwhile prisoners are economic parasites...

Permabanned
"Prisoners should get an education and learn a trade so they can get jobs!"

Because that's working exceptionally well for those not currently incarcerated.

Man of Honour
yes but the 250k is an investment compared to the money people wll spend during the event to keep it safe

500 quid is about 490 too much and thats just the one prison

What about the safety of our Prison Officers?
I can speak from experience that I've been in the 'playroom' with 20 inmates with another colleague and one of them has kicked off because we haven't got the latest FIFA game.
£500 for not kicking off sounds quite cheap to me.
On the whole Officers are quite safe when the prison community is basically happy so don't think about the money being spent on the prisoners, think about the Officers and others who have to deal with these people every day.

Caporegime
Probably their fault! Didn't pay attention in school etc.

Or if for any other reason then fair enough however.

How about you teach them? Make them do GCSEs?

This may just rock your world, but I'm prepared to bet that money is spent on both.

Soldato
OP
this is absolute BS

I actually work in the prison service, and the latest consoles with network ability are a banned item, the only console they are allowed is ps2, and they have to buy it themselves, anything with wifi or ethernet is BANNED

well you can choose to believe me or not - of course this is just an internet forum you dont know me and vice versa, but I am just telling you what I saw and heard ;)

Soldato
Name one.

Out of most of Europe, the UK 'treats prisoners like prisoners' (ie locks most of them up like animals in cramped and sub-standard conditions) the most. Yet we have almost the highest reoffending rate per prisoner in the world, and almost the highest prison population in Europe.

Unfortunately most of The Great British Public (read: utter plebs) won't let politicians get away with sensible, evidence-based reforms to the prison and penal system in the UK because most of them read or are of the Daily Mail and The Sun mindset. The overwhelming majority of the public are desperately uninformed on the subject, and would much rather have their cockles warmed by the thought of prisoners in squaller rather than being socially rehabilitated. God forbid we ever adopt some German or Scandinavian reforms.

So, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The public demand we 'treat prisoners like prisoners' (read: animals), the prisoners come out and then commit even graver offences.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, BRO.
This

Soldato
What about the safety of our Prison Officers?
I can speak from experience that I've been in the 'playroom' with 20 inmates with another colleague and one of them has kicked off because we haven't got the latest FIFA game.
£500 for not kicking off sounds quite cheap to me.
On the whole Officers are quite safe when the prison community is basically happy so don't think about the money being spent on the prisoners, think about the Officers and others who have to deal with these people every day.

And this is why people percieve prison to be a complete waste of time.

So someone kicks off because they dont have Fifa - my kids kick off because they dont have Fifa and they are told they need to work hard at school / behave etc etc and then as a treat they might get the game

Next time it kicks off lock them in the cells until they realise they are actually in prison for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom