Spec me an indoor helicopter

Soldato
I really have a craving for a small indoor copter, just to have a bit of fun with. GF said she'd get me one for xmas, and I'm only messing with it so I guess something around the £25 - £30 mark. I remember Picooz seemed to be a popular choice. Is this still the case?

Any other recommendations

Man of Honour
as it happens ive got to get one for my 4yo nephew for Xmas, maybe around the £15-£20 bracket, so il be watching the replys here :)

Associate
I've got 2, a twin rotored one which I got a couple of years ago which is a complete pain to fly and a single rotored one I got a couple of months ago which is really stable and easy to fly about.

No idea what they are, will look when I get home from work.

Edit: I think the single rotor one must have a gyro built in and the twin not so.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought one of these last year for my son, and it's great fun for both of us :D it's still going strong but I had to get some replacement blades as I got to close to a wall and they shattered, but that was my fault.
Definitely recommended.

Associate
I just bought 2 x Syma S107G for my brothers. Supposedly the best ones you can get for around £18-£25. Make sure it's the G version (rather than just S107), it's easier to fly as it has the built in gyro

Man of Honour
I bought one from Peter Pan's Bazarr which is dotted around many cities/towns. Here's how it flew:

It was £25 I think. I returned it though as I was bummed by the 5-7mins of flight time only.

Soldato
As recommended before these ones are the mutts nuts:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syma-S107-C...IS72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323338304&sr=8-1

They're full metal and have an amazingly stable hover. On day one I was taking off and landing between to coasters in on different tables in my living room.

For anyone that's interested in taking it up a notch I highly recommend these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverlit-Z...f=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1323343208&sr=1-1

These ones have 4 channels and as such can do side slipping etc. The remote also more closely matches that of a fully fledged RC chopper in terms of stick functionality because of the extra channel / control it offers.

They are a LOT more tricky than the first to fly though. Much less stable in a hover and takes lots of practice. For comparison it took about a week before I could land on a coaster with any kind of reliability :)

Also these ones are plastic and not as nearly as robust.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone comment on the Silverlit 4 Channel jobbies. They are in the £25 bracket too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverlit-Z...f=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1323343208&sr=1-1

These ones have 4 channels and as such can do side slipping etc. The remote also more closely matches that of a fully fledged RC chopper in terms of stick functionality because of the extra channel / control it offers.

They are a LOT more tricky than the first to fly though. Much less stable in a hover and takes lots of practice. For comparison it took about a week before I could land on a coaster with any kind of reliability :)

Associate
As recommended before these ones are the mutts nuts:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syma-S107-C...IS72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323338304&sr=8-1

They're full metal and have an amazingly stable hover. On day one I was taking off and landing between to coasters in on different tables in my living room.

Both look good, im looking for more of a challenge as easy is no fun.
What about a more robust 4 channel one? Im happy to increase my budget for the right bit of kit.

Soldato
Definitely the Syma S107, I have had a various amount of different ones, and this is by far the best.
Reasons why....

Solid, metal construction, it can take a beating.
Most stable and accurate to fly (you literally can land it on the palm of your hand which makes it more fun as you can set out landing pads)
Fairly decent charge time
Looks the smartest
Cheap at 20-25quid.

Get one.

Associate
Definitely the Syma S107, I have had a various amount of different ones, and this is by far the best.
Reasons why....

Solid, metal construction, it can take a beating.
Most stable and accurate to fly (you literally can land it on the palm of your hand which makes it more fun as you can set out landing pads)
Fairly decent charge time
Looks the smartest
Cheap at 20-25quid.

Get one.

Just been speaking to a guy at our place who used to have a model shop, hates infra red ones, demonstrated by flying it near the light and watching it spazz out, presuming the halogen lights interfere with it?
Then again i suppose at home people dont have this issue?

Going to pick up one of these micro ones and then progress to the full 3D flying ones, mate gets trade prices so about to treat myself with my tax rebate! Although i can see me cry when a loop de loop ends in a broken heli!

Soldato
There always used to be ***** selling these in my local shopping centre (mall if you wish :p). The ones they fly to attract attention are gyro stabilised I think and the ones they palm off for £30-40 are bog standard POS junk

Bought one for a nephew a couple of years ago, he played with it for ~2 minutes :D

Associate
I think i need a more robust one, fit with a live streaming camera and claw.
It needs to be capable to fly to the kitchen from anywhere in the house, open the fridge and grab a beer and fly back.
Am i asking too much? ha!

Back
Top Bottom