• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just seen 7970 Price @ £452.15 inc vat.

Associate
£350 would be the max I would pay for a 7970 or any gfx card for that matter and that would be if I was a little flush. I have rarely paid over 200 traditionally 9700pro/9800pro/x800xl/x800xt/3870 have been my main cards over the last 10 years or so, 3870 being the cheapest at £125ish, I was really going to splash out with the 7900 generation but the pricing is just to silly, so unless I am amazed and AMD re-evaluate their card pricing, a second hand 6870 for £80 ish or a 6950 for £150ish will get my monies. Maybe if the 78xx come in at under £200

I paid £375 for my Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition and this is when they first come out and there was a major shortage I wanted this card for half life 2 but as the source code was buggy back then it never unleash the full potential of the card back then.

Before that the 8500, 9700 & 9800 seemed to be sub £300 cards.

£370 would be my limit on the new cards I think. I hope it's a tad cheaper than that though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I paid £160 for my 512mb 8800GT at the time and then £190 for my 460GTX from another supplier at launch. Within a month it was £30 less and you can buy one for £70 less now new. If they get a lot of orders then you know the price will go up amd quite possibly stay there while the order book is full. I would really, really like oc and other retailers sell none at all but I suspect they'll sellout. That will only encourage huge prices for Kepler as well.

The thing is, I'll be getting around 700 quid in shares from work so could buy one if I wanted to, but not at that price!!!

Associate
I paid £160 for my 512mb 8800GT at the time and then £190 for my 460GTX from another supplier at launch. Within a month it was £30 less and you can buy one for £70 less now new. If they get a lot of orders then you know the price will go up amd quite possibly stay there while the order book is full. I would really, really like oc and other retailers sell none at all but I suspect they'll sellout. That will only encourage huge prices for Kepler as well.

The thing is, I'll be getting around 700 quid in shares from work so could buy one if I wanted to, but not at that price!!!

That's too bad. I bought my GTX 460 1 month after launch for a mere £109.99. IT was the 768MB version though, but being a DirectCU TOP it ran really cool and OCed very well. Went as high as 950MHz core clock with temps hitting 56C on peak.

Anyway, buying at launch is rarely a good idea imo.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No need for these cards, about the only thing that will test the PC is ARMA 3.

Maybe for folding and silly overclocking, your better off with current GEN and SLI crossfire them up when there cheaper.

Soldato
I remember paying £400 for a 8800GTX in 2006 from OcUK so it's not that bad is it? :eek: Awesome card at the time as well :)

Slipperz :)
The 8800GTX is probably one of the best cards ever in terms of longevity. Even now, it is listed above the minimun requirements for BF3.

I wonder what the 7970 and Kepler will be able to play in 2017?

Soldato

It's not certain that Nvidia will introduce better cards than AMD did any time soon.

The 8800GTX is probably one of the best cards ever in terms of longevity. Even now, it is listed above the minimum requirements for BF3.

Good point, the 8800GTX was an exceptional card, I purchased one on release day close to £400 myself but I won't be doing that again unless I know the card will last me long as the 8800GTX did, the asking price for the 7970 seems fair considering the price of Nvidia's top end cards but overall I feel high end GPU's are inflated in price atm, I purchased my GTX570 way back in February for £239.99 and now nearly 10 months later the cheapest 570 on OcUK's site is £251.99, not touching a new GPU until prices reduce.

Permabanned
im hoping it comes in close to the £400 mark then i may be able to stretch to one since im really loving how much they seem to be overclocking friendly may even sell my 2nd monitor just to make up the extra anyways :D

Associate
Originally Posted by vapor matt
I got one thing to say, as it dosnt work in my mac i don't care how much it costs

but it would be nice to upgrade my 6870 in my mac!

and you PC boys should think yourself lucky, apple are still charging £370 for a 5870 over 2 years old!

I always thought you could just flash the cards with a Mac bios?

Mac cards don't have a bios as such, they need EFi and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Mac or apple versions not having a DVI output at all and just having MDP and thunderbolt for Mac screens only. thats the kinda thing apple do:confused:

Associate
The 8800GTX is probably one of the best cards ever in terms of longevity. Even now, it is listed above the minimun requirements for BF3.

So true, I had, and still have, my 8800GTX in the drawer somewhere. I bought a 5850 last year so it lasted for 4 years, now the 5850 after only one year is starting to struggle with certain games, albeit that my CPU is probably bottlenecking slightly now.

Soldato
Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I just noticed Slipperz you have the same motherboard as my mate who is having a nightmare overclocking his Q6600. Could you email my trust? It would be great to get a few tips...

Permabanned
Mac cards don't have a bios as such, they need EFi and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Mac or apple versions not having a DVI output at all and just having MDP and thunderbolt for Mac screens only. thats the kinda thing apple do:confused:

Aye. As much as I love my iPhone, I hate the fact that apple use proprietary hardware for seemingly no other reason other than to make you pay through the nose for an upgrade :(

Associate
"you are talking out of your behind"

Who is talking out of there behind? Bender :p
lol.

I think you both are considering the price has not even been released yet :p OP said he seen one at £450, which is already more than the OCUK 3GB 580. I would say however that it looks much ore likely that the 7979 will come out more expensive.

Soldato
Once the mad rush and demand resides from buying a 7970 and they are a bit cheaper.

I might go for Tri-fire as I like the scaling of that config and the res I play at.

The 7990 will be a good card no doubt about it, but it needs to be no more than £649 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom