Poll: Why does England still have a royal family?

Are you pro or anti royal?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
the monarchy costs more than the measly couple million they bring in tourism income. The stupid royal wedding security budget did that in one day

Are you as stupid and ignorant as you're pretending to be?

The monarchy brings in a couple of billion in tourism income.

The 100% income tax on most of the royal family's income by itself brings in 5 times as much as the cost of the monarchy, most of which goes towards providing jobs anyway.

If the monarch was deposed, they'd have to be replaced by another head of state. That head of state would require a salary (which would probably be paid for life, so we'd soon be paying a dozen head of state salaries) and salaries for all the people they'd employ (as the queen does now). They would also need a similar security budget.

The country would lose a fortune by deposing the queen and replacing her with another head of state.

That's just the financial side. The queen works very well as a diplomat, so we'd lose that too. The queen also functions as a safeguard against extreme political tyranny. No need for that right now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Maybe you'd like a vote on it. Well, you have the monarchy to thank for having a vote, since the most important part of the modern democratic system (the Great Reform Act) was forced through parliament by a king, using royal power.

There is absolutely no advantage gained by deposing the monarchy and a great deal of disadvantage. If you want to waste your own money, fine. But you don't get to waste mine for some pointless rubbish burbling out from your own ignorance.

Permabanned

The 100% income tax on most of the royal family's income by itself brings in 5 times as much as the cost of the monarchy, most of which goes towards providing jobs anyway.

If the monarch was deposed, they'd have to be replaced by another head of state. That head of state would require a salary (which would probably be paid for life, so we'd soon be paying a dozen head of state salaries) and salaries for all the people they'd employ (as the queen does now). They would also need a similar security budget.

The country would lose a fortune by deposing the queen and replacing her with another head of state.

That's just the financial side. The queen works very well as a diplomat, so we'd lose that too. The queen also functions as a safeguard against extreme political tyranny. No need for that right now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Maybe you'd like a vote on it. Well, you have the monarchy to thank for having a vote, since the most important part of the modern democratic system (the Great Reform Act) was forced through parliament by a king, using royal power.

There is absolutely no advantage gained by deposing the monarchy and a great deal of disadvantage. If you want to waste your own money, fine. But you don't get to waste mine for some pointless rubbish burbling out from your own ignorance.

just LOL, we don't have the monarchy to thank for our "democracy" here is a number of ways our "democracy" is rather week and is by all means not guaranteed:

The royal prerogative: Former royal powers that allow the Prime Minister to declare war or sign treaties (amongst other things) without a vote in Parliament

The Privy Council: A body of advisors to the monarch, now mostly made up of senior politicians, which can enact legislation without a vote in Parliament

The Crown-in-Parliament: The principle, which came about when parliament removed much of the monarch's power, by which Parliament can pass any law it likes - meaning our liberties can never be guaranteed.

oh and the tourism thing is ****

Of the top 20 tourist attractions in the UK only one royal residence makes it: Windsor Castle at number 17 (beaten comfortably by Windsor Legoland, in at number 7). Royal residences account for less than 1% of total tourist revenue

I also plan to refuse my diamond jubilee medal this year, because I believe the monarchy is wrong

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The queen can dismiss the government in an emergency.

Theoretically - she will never ever dissolve parliament though. She doesn't get involved with politics and basically does what she's told (to an extent).

She's a figurehead - that's it. And a tourist attraction. All the pomp and ceremony is just a show, she does nothing to actually "rule" the country from what I can see.

Three reasons.

That's the way it's been for a long time

Change is always risky, difficult and controversial.

We don't trust politicians and the royals are seen as being "above" politics.

Just because it's been established a long time doesn't make it "right". Change is as good as anything.

Change is always difficult I agree - but can be refreshing.

Agreed about politician trust, but i also have disdain for the royal family. I refuse to accept that anyone is born superior or above anyone else.

Man of Honour
oh and the tourism thing is ****

Of the top 20 tourist attractions in the UK only one royal residence makes it: Windsor Castle at number 17 (beaten comfortably by Windsor Legoland, in at number 7). Royal residences account for less than 1% of total tourist revenue

The fact you think the only tourism benefit is actual gate revenue means its pointless discussing this with you.

I also plan to refuse my diamond jubilee medal this year, because I believe the monarchy is wrong

And that just seals the deal.

Man of Honour
but i also have disdain for the royal family. I refuse to accept that anyone is born superior or above anyone else.

This has been my view on it thus far.

Most of them are just moneygrabbers who try to get into any limelight they can. Even the nobody royals like the 2nd cousin of the 3rd uncle seem to get millions for doing absolutely nothing.

Associate

Well said.

Man of Honour
They're the best envoy's we have. They are a stable hiravhy that span governents. They are simply awesome at what they do. And they do do so many visits and meetings around the world on our behalf.

Soldato
I prefer the royal family over any politicians we have in this country.

Imagine a President Blair - just awful!

The royal family have little real power to interfere with government, therefore I don't see any problem with them being titular head of state. It is better than any other alternative.

Also has anyone been to Vienna? It feels quite odd to me, like it is a shell of it's former self. It used to be an imperial royal capital, but now the palaces are just museums, and the guards + horses are just for tourists.

Soldato
The queen does not bring in tourists, it's not like she PERSONALLY has tea with every single tourist who enters the UK.

I find it quite grovelling & pathetic when I hear of people who like being "subjects" - it's seems to arise from some desire to be owned/dominated by another human - who people seem to think should be entitled to wealth & power by birthright - quite possibly the biggest affront to any form of democracy or equality.

It's quite sickening if you consider what's involved - the cretinous attitude of the people of the UK makes me ashamed to be English, it seems as a nation we have lost our "fire" are rebellious nature to fight against people who assign themselves titles over us.

But hey, if you want to see a old German women & his Greek husband as your superior go ahead - but it should be on a purely voluntary basis.

She should hold no power & receive no funding, all of the land should be taken back into public ownership & she should be forced to join the dole que with the rest of the scroungers.

If the monarchists of the UK wish to continue supporting her & her ilk they will be fully able to donate a percentage of there income to continue it, they will also be able to lower themselves to the level of subjects if they so desire.

Just stop making the rest of us join your pathetic personality cult.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom