What`s your memories of school dinners?

Soldato
Everything was rubbish, stereotypical lumpy custard but the lushest Empire biscuits.

Crazy fold-able prison style last supper dinner tables with built in stools, and the same style of dinner trays, hmmm hang on....

DcD

DcD

Associate
The pizzas were pretty good at my school, but oh my, the treacle tart made from that cornflake type mixture was great. I've been searching for it ever since...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
.....Guess i should say i left school in `82! :D

Me too :D

I remember school dinners being fairly decent for the most part. No problem getting seconds either (I was a skinny kid at school but had an enormous appetite).

Favourites were spam fritters with beans and mash; fish and chips; mince and tatties; roly poly and custard; tapioca and milky coffee with cheese and biscuits.

Wasn't keen on the meatballs and the macaroni cheese and the rice pudding were boiled so long they were practically mush.

Soldato
Fish Fingers, Chips and Beans! :D

Then some square bit of random cake with chocolate, vanilla or strawberry icing
With some random coloured custard (pink, yellow, brown)

Soldato
TURKEY TWIZZLERS :D

School dinners were amazing in my fisrt 2 years of secondary school, then Jamie Oliver ****ed it all up and there was SALAD of all things :(

Just the usual burgers and hotdogs and lovely chips, it was awesome food actually :p

Soldato
A tray divided into like 4 sections like your going to eat them all at separate times. Then I remember sucking up to dinner ladies so you could get seconds :D

Hmmm on Fridays we used to have fish and chips and I used to smuggle in Salt.

Associate
OP
Would have thought more peeps would have remembered the chip loaf tho!

Into the baker for a bloomer,split it between your mate,eat the middle then next door for the chippie to fill it up....not too much vinegar or the bottom fell out. :D

It`s like a chip buttie on steroids.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would have thought more peeps would have remembered the chip loaf tho!

Into the baker for a bloomer,split it between your mate,eat the middle then next door for the chippie to fill it up....not too much vinegar or the bottom fell out. :D

It`s like a chip buttie on steroids.

i did that once, but it was still cheaper to just buy a chip butty, and you were'nt literally eating half a loaf of bread for your lunch.

Scotch Pie in a roll, that's more the thing .

Soldato
Never really had dinners in comprehensive school, had packed lunch or went to the shops. Which reminds me of the butchers we used to go to where you could get a huge bacon sandwich + mushrooms/onions for £1.10, which was excellent. Pains me to see the shop now, which is now a Dickson's, so consequently you're now paying upwards of £1.50 for the tinniest of buns with the 2 rashers of the thinnest and smallest bacon ever produced, never cooked properly, and they charge you extra if you want onions.

Soldato
Hampshire Oggy, Eggs Mornay and Angel Delight. We never got straightforward meals at my school.

Would kinda like to make Hampshire Oggy again though but can't find a recipe anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom