Sorting 206 External boot handle

Soldato
Hey all,

I purchased my parents '07 Peugeot 206 with 60k miles, full service history, 6 months tax and 7 months mot in January as they wanted to get a brand new car due mainly to the mileage that they put on this one.

I opted for this because my '98 diesel 1.7 LS Corsa died quite suddenly and I needed a car very quickly. I believe it failed due to a combination of a bad injector pump and glowplugs (pumps were something like £500 when I looked and the glowplugs were probably seized anyway).

My old Corsa was a good little car, cheap to keep until this happened. Plus I knew the full history of my parents car and how well it had been looked after.

Fortunately the Corsa failed 'just in time' as my parents were almost going to do a part exchange for it against their brand new car.

I had the disc brakes and pads done (MoT advisory - scored front disc brakes) and I finally got round to sorting out the boot trim...which broke in a friends hands a few weeks ago - probably down to the famous 206 build quality!

So today, things started like this:

IMAG0230res.jpg

And here is how far it's gotten:

IMAG0231.jpg

Here is what has been done so far:

1). Rubbed down until the blue assumed a matt colour with 400 grit than 1500 grit wet & dry;
2). Sprayed with paint, left for 25 mins in the sun to harden;
3). Rubbed down again with 400 grit then 1500 grit wet & dry, until the red assumed a matt colour;
4). Sprayed again with paint, left to harden.

I had a few hiccups, so a friend quickly painted a couple of sections which I had covered a little thinly (I'm fairly new to all this).

Here is whats left to do:

5). Rub down to matt one last time;
6). One more coat of paint;
7). Wait 24-48 hours;
8). Spray of clear laquer.

I bought the trim from eBay and the sundries and part have come to £25 all in all; which was a third of what the dealerships wanted to charge my parents (as it had cracked before). The local scrappies didn't have any of these in stock.

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
OP
You ditched a vauxhall diesel in need of a fuel pump (£60-£100) and glowplugs (£30) for a Peugeot 206 on the grounds of reliability....

This should end well.

I see your point, but so far so good where the 206 is concerned.

I should have mentioned that when someone tried to remove the glowplugs, 1 had snapped inside the cylinder because it was seized..imagine the £££s involved in getting head work done? It probably wasn't the only plug that was going to snap either.

I was putting in plus gas every evening for a week before the plugs were to be removed, but sadly, my worst fears were realised.

Edit: And the really bad cold starts were getting on my nerves with the Corsa...I think I bought a bit of a lemon really. I had the battery tested, and all was well with that, so it must have been a combination of glow plugs, injectors, compression..but I don't have to worry anymore at least.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom