• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Connection help 7850 and monitors

Associate
So i'm about to purchase a 7850 and want it to power all three of my monitors.

At present i run 2 off a hd4890 and 1 off a 5770. No issues at all just all plug and go.

However the 7850 only has 1 dvi out, 2 dp, and 1 hdmi.

My understanding is that for eyefinity I need active dp adapters. so is that TWO adapters i need at stupid cost, or 1 as i can use the dvi and hdmi alongside it.

Also i'm not fussed about multimonitor gaming, i just want to use 3 screens for general usage, does this negate the need for active dp adapters? ie can i use passive?

if i need active (stupidly expensive) dp adapters, can you please recommend which to buy (uk market).

Those of you that multi-mon game, where do you plug all the usb cables in?

Soldato
You are correct that the DVI and HDMI will both work at the same time - (if you only have monitors that use DVI or HDMI connections then a cable like this will be fine and there is no loss in quality).

For the third (and fourth) monitor, you will need to use the displayport connections. If one of your monitors doesn't have a native displayport input then you will need an active mini-DP to DVI/HDMI adapter, like this one. This applies whether you plan to use eyefinity or you configure the monitors independently.

Associate
OP
Cheers for quick response

all of the monitors are vga and dvi compatible and two also have hdmi inputs. two are 1080p one is 1440x900

So the bottom line is 3 monitors off a single 7850 requires at least 1 active dp adapter, working alongside the hdmi and dvi?

Soldato
So the bottom line is 3 monitors off a single 7850 requires at least 1 active dp adapter, working alongside the hdmi and dvi?

Exactly.

Here is a list of AMD certified active displayport adapters (I would only look at the mini-Displayport to DVI and mini-Displayport to HDMI ones). You should be able to use the part numbers to find them on sale in shops (unfortunately OCUK only sells that XFX one, otherwise I would have provided direct links).

Caporegime

For 3 monitors it's that way with virtually all AMD/ATI 5, 6 and 7 series cards except for the odd special one.

At least one monitor has to run directly from DisplyPort or from an active DisplyPort adapter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom