new kit

Associate
ok guys, so I've got my DAS booked after passing my theory test today.

so I've got 1 week to get some kit together, the school says i will NEED gloves and boots of my own.

for all the kit i have a budget of about £700 but that is for everything i will need.

are there any really good review sites out there? or any recommendations for places to shop online?

i will be buying my lid for hein gerike as i can at least try it on before i buy it!!

will hein gerike do me a discount if i buy all my kit from them? or any sneaky ways to get discount if I'm spending £700ish?

Soldato
Hein Gericke - if not to buy then to go try on and get a feel then buy from M&P or busters etc.

Boots - always gone Sidi and i still have my feet which after some of the accidents i've had is quite amazing!

Gloves - go for race gloves like Swift as in summer they are fantastic for feel and have enough protection should you be unforunate. In winter - lobster gloves really. - £150ish?

Don't skimp on gloves as it's natural that when you crash you put your hands out first to stop yourself - i'd go for proection over winter coating personally. You can always wear rubber gloves underneath to keep water out etc. - £75ish?

Leathers ideally but if not go for really good textiles with really good armour in them and abrasion resistance!
My jacket from Hein Gericke did not survive at all and i'm lucky to have both arms! Last thing you should buy IMO. £500?

Helmet - MAKE SURE IT FITS! the only thing you should absolutely try before you buy! Ill-fitting helmets can seriously injure or kill riders. - price - £100-300?

Associate
Hein Gericke.

I went to the Northampton shop and got

PSX competition 3 jacket £150

Crafty Pants £109

Bettet back protector £20

Bullson boots £109

HJC FG-15 Lid £159 >>> Went through a detailed fitting process and wore the lid for 20 mins in the shop, was that impressed that I forgot I had it on!

HG Tour gloves £90

and and Oxford neck warmer £15.

And I got the lot for £601 quid.

I could have gone to other shops but I was really impressed with the sales guy, he explained the basics and then the details and made sure everything was a good fit. A plus for matching jacket and trouser brands is that you can get a full length zip around the waist to join the 2 to which I found to be a blessing on my CBT completion.

Associate
Hein Gericke.

I went to the Northampton shop and got

PSX competition 3 jacket £150

Crafty Pants £109

Bettet back protector £20

Bullson boots £109

HJC FG-15 Lid £159 >>> Went through a detailed fitting process and wore the lid for 20 mins in the shop, was that impressed that I forgot I had it on!

HG Tour gloves £90

and and Oxford neck warmer £15.

And I got the lot for £601 quid.

I could have gone to other shops but I was really impressed with the sales guy, he explained the basics and then the details and made sure everything was a good fit. A plus for matching jacket and trouser brands is that you can get a full length zip around the waist to join the 2 to which I found to be a blessing on my CBT completion.

Odd, i bought the FG-15 Kynee for £110 a couple of weeks ago, same shop. Are you sure it was the FG-15?

Associate
They must have had a sale.

I got my kit over 2 weeks ago when no sale was on. I could have waited but I wanted full kit for my CBT. I was also not fussed about cost for the kit as it is my first lot and I wanted to give myself peace of mind that the kit I got I would be happy with.

I have to say that the FG-15 is a cracking lid. I did however make the mistake of getting it in plain black.

Associate
OP
ended up with HJC FG15 in white and silver. decided against the black as i promised myself i wouldn't be a ninja.

alpine stars gloves and boots and got talked into an RST leather jacket which is a touch on the large size but still quite nice.

all in at just under £600. leaves me £100-ish for some kevlar jeans. can anybody recommend a brand at all?

Associate
OP
yeah, they had a few in the shop, all fat ******* sizes tho. there was nothing under 40" waist! can the sartso ones take knee and hip armour?

Back
Top Bottom