Cross-Browser Compatibility

Associate
While putting together my new website, I've started wondering...

What browsers & versions thereof would you say it is necessary/best to check the compatibility of a website on?

I guess that a bare minimum would be to check how one's website works on the most up-to-date versions of the most popular browsers on Mac & Windows, but are there any others that are particularly useful or wise to have a check on?

My current routine would be to take a look at the most up-to-date versions I can get of Safari, Firefox, Opera & Chrome on my Mac and the same plus Internet Explorer on my PC.

Thanks.

Any other tips? I've tried using browsershots.org a few times too.

Caporegime
We test in chrome, ff, safari and ie version 6, 7, 8 and 9.

We test for ie6+7 still as we have a large client that refuse to update.

StatCounter show IE as still the highest used browser, version 8 being the highest, though the trend predicts v9 will overtake it soon enough. The trend also predicts Chrome will be the daddy browser soon.

Other significant stats shown for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

There are minimal/negligent "other" browsers in play. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yip. All depends what browsers are being used to view it.

If people want IE6 compatibility I tend to charge extra for it.

I have one particular client who's a bugger for it. They're based in Spain, where there's loads of IE6, but they still want all the latest bells and whistles...

Associate
get it working flawless in ie7 and most other issues will be trivial, in my experience chrome is by far the most forgiving, IE has some silly bugs but you have to be considering it as a baseline at all times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom